GSoC project ideas + documentation for 2023

Kriti Godey

Feb 6, 2023, 4:09:30 PM2/6/23
to Mathesar Developers

Our project ideas and applicant documentation have been updated for GSoC 2023.

Project ideas

The project ideas are finalized, but implementation details need to be reviewed and will continue to be refined.

We’ll be refining these after we know whether we’ve been accepted to GSoC (Feb 22).

Applicant documentation

I made several changes to our Applicant Guide and Project Proposal Template based on our experience last year.

Notably, I’ve updated the Applicant Guide to:

  • add a “Step 0: Figure out if Mathesar is the right organization for you” to be more upfront about our lack of documentation and lack of time to help new contributors.
  • explicitly state that all communication should be in public channels and that we don’t have the capacity to deal with DMs.
    • We’ll be setting up a Google Form to track draft proposals, which is the only thing that private communication was needed for last year.

Next steps

This section is for the core team and Anish.

  • Our GSoC application has been submitted (thanks for everyone’s work writing up ideas!). I think we should now stop working on GSoC until we know if we’ve been accepted.
    • If we have been accepted into GSoC, we’ll finalize implementation of project ideas after Feb 22
  • If people are messaging you privately, please direct them to public channels instead.

Kriti Godey

Feb 6, 2023, 4:13:56 PM2/6/23
to Mathesar Developers
I forgot to mention – if people do have thoughts about the GSoC project ideas that they want to quickly send feedback on before they forget, feel free to send them in this thread. Brent mentioned feedback on the list data type.

I wouldn't spend any extra time reviewing the ideas now, though.