[mathesar-developers] Project update: Installation Improvement 0.1.3

Mukesh Murali

Jul 18, 2023, 11:53:04 AM7/18/23
to Mathesar Developers

Project Link

  • I have contacted the respective helpers to review the project specs.
  • I have started working on the backend issues for the Superuser creation page.

Mukesh Murali

Jul 21, 2023, 1:59:10 PM7/21/23
to Mathesar Developers
Weekly update on the [Installation Improvement 0.1.3](https://wiki.mathesar.org/en/projects/installation-improvements-0_1_3) project

- I had a meeting with Kriti to prepare for the next meeting and based on Pavish suggestion we decided to come up with an outline of ideal installation documentation from the user standpoint which could be used as a starting point for coming up with solutions
- I made good progress on the backend work needed for the superuser creation screen and I hope to raise a PR for it by Monday
- I will be starting to work on removing the database superuser privilege requirement needed by Mathesar and replaced it privileges limited to a specific user database

Mukesh Murali

Jul 31, 2023, 12:49:19 PM7/31/23
to Mathesar Developers, Ghislaine Guerin, Rajat Vijay

Weekly update on the Installation Improvement 0.1.3 project

Changes since last week

  • We had a meeting and agreed on the proposed outline for the improved and simplified Installation documentation and changes needed to our Installation process
  • PR for the backend changes to the superuser creation screen was raised and approved. We will be merging the changes to the develop branch once UI and documentation work is complete.
  • The design spec for the superuser creation screen was created. A design change was requested as a better user flow was proposed than what we had initially planned. @Ghislaine Guerin is working on the requested changes.
  • PR for removing the database superuser requirement for Mathesar was raised.

What I am actively working on

  • I am working on creating a Docker image which contains a Mathesar server and a Postgres server running inside a single image.

Plans for the current week

  • @Rajat Vijay will be working on the frontend for the superuser creation screen and I will be working on documenting the new installation steps.
  • I will be sending out an email tomorrow to discuss the location for storing Mathesar’s configuration.
  • I plan to raise a PR for a Docker image which contains a Mathesar server and Postgres server running inside a single image by tomorrow and have it merged by the end of this week.
  • I plan to raise a PR for a script which should generate a .deb for Mathesar by tomorrow and have it merged by the end of this week.

Projects delays compared to what we had planned initially

  • There is a delay in raising a PR for a Docker image which contains a Mathesar server and Postgres server as I ran into some unprecedented bugs. The problem is fixed and I should be raising a PR soon for it.
  • The design work for the superuser creation screen is delayed due to changes to the initially planned user flow. I will focus more time to make sure we are able to complete the frontend work needed for the superuser creation screen.