Update on the Sausalito Ferry Landside and an action request

Kieran Culligan

Jul 12, 2021, 2:27:30 AM7/12/21
to [MCBC] Sausalito Bike Advocates
Hi Sausalito Bike Advocates,

Sausalito is making some progress in considering a whole new vision for the waterfront area near the Ferry Landing area. This would be a huge boon for pedestrians and cyclists.

Here's where things stand right now: Sausalito has an ordinance in place that requires parking lots to be parking lots forever. The City Council is determining whether to add a measure to the ballot to modernize this ordinance so that it's no longer a roadblock.

Getting this change passed by voters won't force the City to do anything (there's still a lot of work to do), but it is a critical and necessary step to keep the dream alive.

There are three places where people can weigh in to help support. Sausalito is a small town and just a couple extra voices weighing in on a matter like this can really make a difference!

1. July 13 City Council meeting. Write a letter of support in advance (email cityc...@sausalito.gov) or make a live comment during the meeting for item 5a. I've attached my public comment as an example.

2. July 15 Ferry Landing Community Forum. Listen in and especially make sure to participate in the polling that will occur in the latter part. Details here:
Anyone with an interest in the future of the ferry landing and the downtown area is encouraged to participate in the community forum via Zoom from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 15.

3. July 27 City Council meeting. If things are on track, this is when the City Council is expected to vote on whether to add this measure to the November 2021 ballot. Please write a letter of support in advance (email cityc...@sausalito.gov) or make a live comment during the meeting.

If this seems repetitive, yes unfortunately that's because it is. But we really want to avoid a situation where a small number of detractors are able to wield an outsized voice and unwind all the momentum that's been built.

Thanks for tuning in. May your riding be joyful and frequent.

Best,

Kieran

Note: To stay in accordance with the Brown Act, we cannot discuss PBAC business items on this email distribution list. So please just consider this a heads up and reach out to me or another committee member directly if you would like to discuss further.
5a Amend Ord. 1128 - Culligan.pdf

Warren Wells

Jul 12, 2021, 1:26:22 PM7/12/21
to Kieran Culligan, [MCBC] Sausalito Bike Advocates
Thanks for sending this along, Kieran. This is a really good effort and I'm happy to lend out support. I'll be writing in to provide comment at the two meetings and will be attending the Thursday community meeting if possible.

Warren J. Wells, AICP
Policy and Planning Director
Marin County Bicycle Coalition
pronouns: he, him, his

We're creating a healthy, connected, and sustainable Marin by promoting bicycling for everyday transportation and recreation. Love to ride? Join us today.

Kieran Culligan

Jul 23, 2021, 1:32:30 AM7/23/21
to [MCBC] Sausalito Bike Advocates
Quick update on this one: the first two sessions went quite smoothly with lots of public support. Yay!

Now City Council will decide this Tuesday, July 27, whether to move ahead with a vote in November to modify the ordinance which restricts any changes to the downtown parking lots.

This time around there is a noticeable public campaign to oppose any changes, so any email (cityc...@sausalito.gov) or live comment you can make would really make a difference. I've attached my latest public comment (hopefully the last one on this topic for a while!).

Take care,

Kieran

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 11:27 PM Kieran Culligan <kieran....@gmail.com> wrote:
2021-07-22 7B Ord 1128 Amendment - Culligan.pdf