Sausalito Bike Advocates March Check-in

1 view

Kieran Culligan

Mar 12, 2021, 12:28:48 AM3/12/21
to [MCBC] Sausalito Bike Advocates
Hi Sausalito Bike Advocates,

It's been a pretty active couple weeks on bike-related topics:
  • Aaron and I are launching goldengatemobility.org as a YouTube channel to talk through bike/ped related topics in Sausalito and the surrounding area. It's mostly about Ferry Landside to start (see more on that below), and we plan to cover just about everything over time. It's super low production value, and our intent is to keep it short and to the point. Let us know if you want to join us as a guest for a topic!
  • With the help of MCBC, we worked with the city to apply for two grants to bring the Bridgeway Bike Lanes project to life. The larger grant application was denied because it was only looking for "shovel-ready" projects (design complete, permits in place, etc.). The city declined to pursue the second grant further since the bigger funding picture is unclear. It's a bummer, but this is still a top priority for us. We received lots of positive feedback on the merits of the project and have multiple supportive City Council members. So the push here will be on advancing the planning such that the city can pursue future grants.
  • The Ferry Landside topic is also bubbling behind the scenes, and is currently scheduled for the City Council agenda on March 23. We expect a spirited debate about whether to amend the parking lot ("Lot 1") right next to the ferry landing. I'm doing some analysis on parking utilization to bring some facts to that debate. There's room to do something cool here, but it will take some influencing!
  • Safety and enforcement is also a priority topic (which I am not directly involved in outside of PBAC meetings for Brown Act reasons). We've had multiple recent examples of vehicles striking children on bicycles with the auto driver clearly at fault. In all known cases, the Sausalito PD took no action against the driver. If this sounds terrible to you, that's because it is. We are pushing for more transparency and removing obstacles that prevent the police from citing drivers currently.
  • There's a PBAC meeting coming up this Monday March 15 at 6:30p. Agenda with Zoom link here. We'll be doing a bit of a post-mortem on the Bridgeway grants, getting into the safety topics, and covering some active projects including Caledonia St dining.
Stay safe, ride merrily, be well,

Kieran

Note: To stay in accordance with the Brown Act, we cannot discuss PBAC business items on this email distribution list. So please just consider this a heads up and reach out to me or another committee member directly if you would like to discuss further.