Wood turning event at makespace?

claire

Mar 6, 2023, 3:49:53 AM3/6/23
to woodsh...@makespace.org
Hello fellow wood workers,

I was wondering if some of you would be interested in a wood turning demo organised at makespace? I attended one in Duxford and it was super interesting to see new technics and get explanation about tools or finishes I had no idea even existed.

If you are interested, would you consider paying a contribution for such an event and how much? I'm gauging interest to see if it's worth organising an event at Makespace. It could be an event open to non members.

Let me know if you are as motivated as I am !

Have a good day,
Best,
Claire

claire

Mar 6, 2023, 8:49:39 AM3/6/23
to BrainFizz Routing & Making, woodsh...@makespace.org
Hey,
Thanks for all the information!
I was actually considering going to the midland woodworking show this Saturday, are other members interested to go?
And would any experienced woodturner be interested in demoing and chatting about woodturning techniques at Makespace?
Best,
Claire

Le lun. 6 mars 2023 à 09:00, BrainFizz Routing & Making <trend...@googlemail.com> a écrit :
Ive said for years, the fastest way to learn turning (without paying for classes), is to join a club. Meeting up with other turners generally adds. Fuel to the fire so to speak and they regularly have visiting turners, or club members showing tools and techniques for various projects.

As to paying for such an event, charges are generally made because demonstrators tend to charge their time or they’re not interested in turning up - whilst i agree with the logic, turners are ten-a-Penney, and Makespace probably has enough members who turn to get some to do demos on something or another.

If you want a half decent event to see loads or talented turners demoing, i would recommend “makers central” in may at the NEC, a very turning and resin casting heavy show, with loads of cool things to see and do, as well as social events at the hotels in the evening and after the fact.

There is also a good show in Newark, which i think is this coming weekend “the midland woodworking show” - lots of turning related stalls and stands most of which will have demos on them as well usually.

Out side that, do a search for people like jamie page, Jake Thompson, carl Jacobson and  mike Waldt on you tube, they are actually skilled turners rather than the flashy sped up types, so the information the put out is sound rather than anything else. They are also free too.

--
woodsh...@makespace.org
http://woodshop-club.makespace.org

Ward @ Makespace

Mar 6, 2023, 3:55:55 PM3/6/23
to woodsh...@makespace.org

I like this idea.  Could be a bit like the Raspberrypi and robot club groups: a set time to get together, do demo, invite guest turners in or just talk...

--
woodsh...@makespace.org
http://woodshop-club.makespace.org
--