Wood samples for workshop

Ward @ Albion

Oct 13, 2022, 4:09:34 PM10/13/22
to woodsh...@makespace.org, cammak...@googlegroups.com
    I am considering a few projects which might benefit from different
types of wood but I am not sure what type of wood might be best. I am
not sure I know enough to ask an intelligent question of a supplier.

   Would it be possible to get a local supplier to provide some samples
which we could display in the workshop?  I am thinking about something
like the perspex samples that we have near the laser cutter.

    Ideas?

--
Best,

Ward

wardhills.net
abedgraham.com
makespace.org
officehoursgroup.net

Bruno Santos

Oct 14, 2022, 8:54:19 AM10/14/22
to cammak...@googlegroups.com, woodsh...@makespace.org
Hi Ward,

I have a few samples I can drop at Makespace as I don't really use them for anything these days. I originally purchased them from here and also got a smaller selection from here.I can also provide offcuts to add to that collection if someone wants to go the extra mile to cut them to a suitable size and sand/finish the

However, although in theory having samples sounds like a great idea, the truth is that wood is a natural material and therefore has huge variability. So while for perspex once you see one you see them all, for timber, although species is useful, there are more factors involved such as the type of cut (quarter, rift or flat sawn), how easy of a life the tree had (straight or figured grain, dense or softer), the type of finish you use (water based, oil based, etc).

So although they are a useful starting point nothing substitutes being able to look at the boards yourself, which is difficult because of the scarcity or local sawmills and most of them are, understanbly, not very interested in spending a lot of time in a person that only buys a handful of boards a year. That normally means if you want anything special you are either prepared for paying a lot for shipping costs or buying way more than you need so you have a choice.

I always thought it was a good idea for makespace to have stock of some popular hardwoods so people could pick and choose from. That would also allow for project kits to be available for people to buy now that we have a planer/thicknesser and dimensioning wood is not as time consuming as it used to be.

Bruno

--
https://equipment.makespace.org – tools instructions and training, also links to send a trouble ticket and make injury & incident reports.
https://meetup.com/makespace  - Events and training practicals

Allen Kaye

Oct 14, 2022, 12:58:05 PM10/14/22
to cammak...@googlegroups.com, woodsh...@makespace.org
Hi

I will bring along a few small pieces of the following: purple heart, walnut, yew, bubinga, rosewood, birds eye maple, zebrano, tulipwood, cedar, cherry,, elm, hornbeam and ash.  Quite small unfinished pieces I used for a 'what is that wood?' competition last year.  The other samples have been used or otherwise lost.

There is a very useful  reference book in the library which describes the wood but also gives toxicity/sensitivity information as well as whether the wood is on any list (Cites) of protected species.

Allen