Which Track Saw to buy at Home

leyang shen

Oct 30, 2022, 4:37:07 PM10/30/22
to Woodshop Club
Hi,

I'm relatively new to wood working. Had done tranning with the Festool Track Saw and loved it. I'm planning to build a murphy bed and floor-to-ceiling wardrobes on two side of the room.

As the result, I'm considering investing in some woodworking equitment. I only have a garage to do the work and drills. I felt the first prority for me would be track saw, to cut full sheet of plywood to size accurately. (PS: I don't even have a workbench, so planning to cut it on the floor with insulating foams underneath)

My current choice for the track saw is Makita SP6000J1 with 2x 1.5m guide rail for £422. Would this be a good deal?

Also, What is the cheapest shop vacuum I could go for? (I would only do it once a year, wearnig N95 mask, so not concered about air qualities in the garage)

PS: If there are any tool broow scheme / manufacturing with deliver service (I will have CAD files), that would be superbe as well. Feel free to contact me directly.

Many Thanks,
Ben

BrainFizz Routing & Making

Nov 10, 2022, 4:49:49 AM11/10/22
to Woodshop Club, bens...@gmail.com
Hi Ben, I’m a big fan of the Festool TS55. And am a current user (although I will be getting the Hikoki Multivolt saw once its released)

Personally, and regardless which saw you go with consider the festool tracks. If you go with the original estool tracks, you can make use of the anti-kickback stops on the tracks (currently not an option at MS because although we have the stop with the TS75, it doesn’t fit the makita tracks as the profiles are not the same. Also they stick better to the work than any others I’ve used.
The makita saw does have some rave reviews online though.

On the shop vac front, take a look at the TREND T32,T33 vacs, they’re inexpensive, well built for the price point and M Class too.

On the delivery/manufacture side. Take a look at “cultist.co.uk” they have an enourmous range of board options, from melamine and real wood veneer faced ply, chipboard, MDF/MRMDF and they will edge and for you as well. Once cut they’ll wrap it and deliver it too.
Huws grey in cambridge will also cut sheets to size, but the range these days is very limited - although they can order it on.

Hope this helps…