Resawing boards on bandsaw

Tim Nash

Mar 13, 2023, 7:51:40 PM3/13/23
to Woodshop Club
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience re-sawing boards on the bandsaw.

I have quite a few pieces of wood that I'd like to re-saw and the online training documents suggest a maximum rip cut depth of 50mm for the standard blade. Most of the pieces I have would be between 100 and 200mm. Does anyone know how deep the standard blade can reliably re-saw boards and if it can't do that kind of depth, is there a lower tpi blade that could be fitted to increase the depth of cut possible?

If anyone has experience and is happy to help, they are welcome to a couple of the re-sawn boards in return - it is an eclectic mix of native hardwoods.

Thanks,
Tim

Bruno Santos

Mar 14, 2023, 4:08:27 AM3/14/23
to Tim Nash, Woodshop Club
Hi Tim,

I would certainly not attempt to resaw boards that deep on the existing blade.
We do have a 3tpi that can be replaced for this exact purpose you just need to convince someone to change it for you. I would do this but I only have 2 weeks left on my membership and I won't have the time before I leave. I have trained others on how to do this in the past as well so hopefully, you will find someone to help.

However, even with the 3tpi I wouldn't recommend you resaw your boars. If you start at 50mm (assuming they don't need planning first to get them straight) you will have around 5mm for the kerf of the blade plus any drift, assuming you get both boards the exact same size you will end up with 22.5mm boards. You will then need to plane and thickness them meaning you will again lose around 5mm for a board so you end up at 17.5mm at best.

This may still sound doable and worth the risk except that when you resaw you are releasing tension on the wood fibres and unless you have arrow straight grain it will move (bow, cup) too much so you will likely be producing very expensive firewood.  So my suggestion is you keep your 50mm boards for things like legs which benefit from the extra thickness and get some rough-sawn 25mm boards for the rest.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Bruno

--
woodsh...@makespace.org
http://woodshop-club.makespace.org