Any thoughts on a wiped Samsung tablet?

Cambridge Repair Cafe

Sep 14, 2021, 5:38:40 AM9/14/21
to Repair Club
Hi everyone

We've had a Repair Café query from someone with a wiped Samsung tablet (I presume wiped remotely by its owner when lost). From the very little I know, it shouldn't be possible to retrieve the original owner's name which he needs to return the tablet to them - but does this mean the tablet is unusable by anyone, and is effectively just a piece of ewaste?

We're not planning on taking it on at tomorrow's Repair Café, but I'd be interested to know what the options are to get it working again.

Here's the original message:

"Samsung galaxytab s5e. It was found and it is wiped. I have had it over a year and I don't know how to bypass google security, nor can I return it to its previous owner. Let me know if this is something that can be done."

Any thoughts? Useful websites? (I'm a total non-techie so please keep it simple.)

Thanks

Kate,
Cambridge Repair Café

chris.moller@evonet.com.

Sep 14, 2021, 5:57:05 AM9/14/21
to Cambridge Repair Cafe, Repair Club

Hi Kate,

I’m sorry, I don’t know the answer, but I’m not hopeful.

The focus of remote wiping is to ensure no personal information is accessible, but also to ensure that there’s no value in stealing it because it will be totally unusable.  eWaste isn’t a consideration.

Best regards

Chris

--
repai...@makespace.org
http://repair-club.makespace.org

Jon Malins

Sep 14, 2021, 6:34:54 AM9/14/21
to chris.moller@evonet.com., Cambridge Repair Cafe, Repair Club
If it has a SIM card in it then a phone shop should be able to trace it via IMEI number.

Otherwise if it is just a WiFi tablet that will be hard.   The original owner should be able to find it using Find My Phone,  which will find its Mac address.   Best bet would be to ensure it is charged, on and can see a WiFi router.

Otherwise not much hope I fear.   A charity could benefit.

Jon

Jon Malins Designs