Struggling with chest armour

AppleBlossom

Jan 21, 2021, 9:56:26 AMJan 21
to propmak...@makespace.org
Hi guys,

I'm currently struggling with creating a template for my chest armour. I've
been looking at many videos about that topic, but whatever I do, I always end
up with large creases and folds on the chest, which makes drawing and cutting
impossible.
Is there a trick to get duct tape smooth?

Cheers,
Leonie

Jamie Powell

Jan 21, 2021, 10:07:14 AMJan 21
to AppleBlossom, propmak...@makespace.org
Is it a fitted armour?
Maybe base the bodice off of a corset pattern?

Jan 21, 2021, 10:11:55 AMJan 21
to propmak...@makespace.org, AppleBlossom
Hi,
I've also seen a number of tutorial on doing this and I think one of the big things is having someone else to help you, if that is not an option, then I'm afraid you may not get the template perfect.
From what I have seen, getting a nice smooth and tight layer of cling film around the area you want to template first is the key, then getting someone to carefully wrap the duct tape slowly in a single direction with only a small overlap between the layers  will give you best results.

Like I say, not done this yet myself,. But that seems to be the way I have seen it done most with best results.
What I will add though is the pieces never look perfect even when people have done it loads, I guess that is why you transfer the pattern over to cardstock when done.

Look forward to seeing your results.
Myles

Kind Regards, Myles Pope. Sent from my phone, please forgive any spelling mistakes.