The outreach breakout group (Jonathan, Claire and I) met at the last labs planning meeting to discuss having outreach activities in the classroom and a calendar of events that would:
- Introduce members of Makespace to biology and some of the other labs-related technologies
- Provide STEM activities for families
- Keep people engaged, learning and participating even in the absence of a lab space.
- Find someone to document the activities that we currently have at Biomakespace: low-cost microfluidics, spectrophotometry and EMGs - DONE in progress with Scarlet who has all previous materials and the kits and will make activity instructions. These will be:
- DIY spectrophotometry,
- DIY electrophysiology
- Paper-based microfluidics
- Follow up with Camillo to find a time for the talks - DONE, times decided, hosts located, event placeholder on Meetup and team introduced to finalise and deliver the talk series.
- Follow up with Roger Mason about electrophys workshop - DONE, agreed to host workshop in early 2023, awaiting date to be finalised
- Share outreach calendar with the labs group - DONE
- Ask biology club list if anyone would be interested to run a PCR workshop - DONE, awaiting response.
If anyone would like to suggest other events - especially workshops you yourself could offer - please mention on this thread or join the outreach breakout at the next labs planning meeting.