Re: Electronics bench

Ward Hills, Makespace

Apr 29, 2021, 4:19:05 AM4/29/21
to Richard Hopper, Simon Ford, makep...@gmail.com, electron...@makespace.org, Stephen Clemmet, Adrian van den Heever, ala...@worrod.com, Makespace Management List

Hi All,

    Richard thanks for picking this up, really appreciated.  Stafano made fantastic progress organising the electronic bench ( as user I have benefited from this--Thank you!).   Stafano is now copied on this as is the electron...@makespace.org

    If electron...@makespace.org is copied on all the emails then a record of these discussions will be captured by Makespace, good future reference.   I suggest we all sign up to that group and carry on the conversation there:  https://groups.google.com/u/2/a/makespace.org/g/electronics-club.  You will have to join that group before your emails to it are accepted.  If you give me you permission I can add you to the group, just reply to this email.

    There are a few boxes of Arduino components in the front corridor cabinets.  Should they be moved to the Electronics bench, might get more use?

    Lastly again as a user, scopes and measuring equipment are useful but from my own perspective PCB and component holders for soldering are needed daily.  Nothing special required just some clamps and 'third hands' please.   Also, less critical, connectors JST and the like would be useful.  Thank you!

    Best,

    Ward

On 29/04/2021 08:42, Richard Hopper wrote:
Hello Simon,

Be useful to understand what people actually want. One possibility is to make more use of computer interfaced equipment such as picoscopes which save space and are good value. I guess the first step is sorting out what we have. I can then think about what is required, and propose a list to discuss. Happy if you want to schedule a discussion on this, or we could do this over the forum.

Good of Adrian to order the lights. Perhaps Adrian could forward my email to Stefano Borini, as I understand he has done a lot of work sorting out components recently and may want to help more. I intend to come in on Monday morning to make a start.

Kind regards,
Richard

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 8:25 AM Simon Ford <simon...@makespace.org> wrote:
Hi Richard, Stephen,

Maybe a good topic for electronics club?

It worked great for woodshop club to chat about what upgrades would be desirable and how/who.

I’d consider both:

 * people wanting to make stuff from scratch - how could we greatly improve our electronics capabilities? Any step changes? (not forgetting improving the basics, clear out, replacements as you say)

 * people who want to repair stuff - seems lots of interest in repair, and could even get repair cafe people involved as they have lots of knowledge/desires I’m sure

Great stuff!

Simon

On 28 Apr 2021, at 22:44, Richard Hopper <richardhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Adrian,

I recently spoke to Ward and Alaric about improving the electronics bench. This would mainly involve identifying working and defective equipment, sorting and removing clutter and identifying any additional items / equipment we might need. I understand we already have quite a few items stored in the office which could be sorted through and potentially brought into service.

I understand that Stefano Borini may also be interested in helping but I do not have Stefano’s email address (hidden from me on google groups). Can you put me in touch?

Alaric has kindly offered to install a couple of LED strip lights above the bench which are identical to those installed in the laser cutters. Perhaps you could help order these, if you think they would be of use.

Best wishes,

Richard

Stefano Borini

May 1, 2021, 4:51:34 AM5/1/21
to Ward Hills, Makespace, Richard Hopper, Simon Ford, electron...@makespace.org, Stephen Clemmet, Adrian van den Heever, ala...@worrod.com, Makespace Management List
I won't be back at makespace consistently until my second vaccine.
It's probably going to be the end of June probably.