New event series @biomakespace - 3rd Oct, Monday, 18:30

Venkata Vamsi

Sep 27, 2022, 7:06:41 AM9/27/22
to Biology Club
Hi all

We have a new series of events starting 3rd of Oct at 18:30.

Engineering Biology! is a monthly talk series [Open to Non-Members] by Camillo Moschner who will cover:

  • the importance of biotechnology (both from a health/environment/industry impact and a financial perspective),
  • what biotech work actually includes and some opportunities there might be for the Makespace communities in it,
  • case studies of companies and maybe even papers, highlighting the merging of biotech and classical engineering, and introducing new principles and ideas along the way.

Title: How Biological Engineering is Changing the World (An Intro for Non-Biologists)

Talk description: Climate change, pollution, supply chain shortages, food security, increasing drug prices… The problems engineers are tackling are manifold and require a multitude of approaches to be solved. In this first (Bio)Makespace Biological Engineering seminar (for Non-Biologists) we introduce some of the ways that biology is currently being used to address our greatest challenges, and highlight the importance of engineering in this process.

Speaker description: Camillo is a final year PhD student in the Department of Engineering, working on high-throughput testing of genetically engineered cells using microfluidics-enabled microscopy studies. He has a background in molecular biology and biomedicine, is one of the organisers of Cambridge University’s iGEM team, and privately teaches courses about biosynthesis and synthetic biology.

Hoping to see you all on Monday.

Have a nice week ahead.

Biomakespace team.

Vamsi

Oct 3, 2022, 7:37:26 AM10/3/22
to Biology Club
Hi all

We have a new series of events starting (Today) 3rd of Oct at 18:30.
--
http://biology-club.makespace.org
biolog...@makespace.org