3d printers and Biomakespace

Simon Ford

Oct 23, 2021, 1:15:59 AM10/23/21
to Bio Committee, Biology Club
Hi bio-people,

A couple of questions related to Biomakespace as we look at potentially upgrading our 3d printer capabilities:

* who are the people most familiar with the Biomakespace 3d printers; what we have, and how they get used?

* was talking to AstraZeneca future lab and they were interested in the form3 we are looking at as eg it can print parts suitable for autoclave, and Tom from solidprint highlighted there is a 3B version that supports special dental/medical materials. So wondering does anyone have an interest/need for medical/bio specific 3d printing capabilities?

Thanks!

Simon

Tony Naggs

Oct 23, 2021, 1:55:36 AM10/23/21
to Simon Ford, Bio Committee, Biology Club

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021, 06:16 Simon Ford, <simon...@makespace.org> wrote:
Hi bio-people,

A couple of questions related to Biomakespace as we look at potentially upgrading our 3d printer capabilities:

 * who are the people most familiar with the Biomakespace 3d printers; what we have, and how they get used?

I don't think anyone has been using the printers recently, as I have not seen many bookings in the Lab booking system for the Maker Lab.

We have 3 x 3D printers:
* Prusa i3, used by Jenny and a few others pre-pandemic
* SeeMeCNC, received as a donation, calibrated and used by Juan I think
* a small iSun 3d resin printer https://www.esun3d.net/products/226.html and there is a biocompatible resin available for it. My understanding is that we did have member regularly using this.

 * was talking to AstraZeneca future lab and they were interested in the form3 we are looking at as eg it can print parts suitable for autoclave, and Tom from solidprint highlighted there is a 3B version that supports special dental/medical materials. So wondering does anyone have an interest/need for medical/bio specific 3d printing capabilities?

Adam Savage (former Mythbusters presenter) has a couple of recent YouTube videos setting up and using a Form 3L printer (loaned or gifted from the manufacturer). And an interesting project building a curing oven - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaQNVGhuyU

Thanks!

Simon

--
bio-co...@makespace.org