Makespace Labs/Biomakespace @ Reprogramming Biology

Jenny Molloy

Sep 6, 2022, 1:52:23 PM9/6/22
to la...@makespace.org, Biology Club

Hi All

See below - would anyone be keen to go along with some projects or info?
It will be a fun evening with good speakers and food!

Jenny

From Steph Norwood

I’m getting in touch as the Engineering Biology IRC are organising a series of Forums in autumn this year focussed on 1) Advanced Microscopy 2) Machine Learning and 3) Reprogramming Biology. The events will feature two keynote lectures followed by a reception with stalls, exhibits and demonstrations from academics, local interest groups, and companies. These ‘mini-fairs’ will be a great opportunity for local groups to share their work, advertise opportunities and recruit members.

I was wondering whether the Makespace Biology or the Makespace Labs group (or both!) would be interested in fielding a table at the Reprogramming Biology event on 10th November? This could be a demonstration or information about previous projects run at the Makespace, or simply a table with fliers/information where people can find out more about the Makespace/Biomakespace/potential Makespace Labs. We can help out with providing posters, fliers etc. if it’s helpful.

OpenPlant SBRC

Sep 23, 2022, 11:17:24 AM9/23/22
to Biology Club, jenny.mo...@gmail.com, la...@makespace.org
Hi All,

Just to follow up on this - if anyone is interested in joining us for our Reprogramming Biology event on 10th November, it would be great to have the Makespace represented.

The events are design to stimulate discussion around the future of engineering and synthetic biology, and will be will attended by members of the Cambridge community from both the university and local industry. There will be two keynote talks exploring cutting-edge synthetic biology approaches for reprogramming biological systems, followed by a drinks reception and fair showcasing local groups working in the area with demos, information etc. It would be fantastic to have a demo or table from Makespace - perhaps an example(s) of previous biology-related projects that have been run? Or even just a table with information, leaflets etc. to let people know about Makespace/Biology Club/Labs at Makespace (and potenitqally recruit new members)? We can assist with fliers etc. if needed.

Deatils about the event series, and registration if you'd like to come along as a guest, can be found here.

If anyone has any ideas/questions/wants to know more, do let me know - my personal email is sa...@cam.ac.uk.

Thanks!
Steph

Jenny Molloy

Sep 24, 2022, 11:43:08 AM9/24/22
to OpenPlant SBRC, Biology Club, la...@makespace.org
Thanks for the reminder Steph!
I can personally vouch for how fun these evenings are and the speakers are stellar: Jim Collins from MIT who is something of a superstar in the bioengineering world and Jennifer Brophy from Stanford who is doing amazing things in plant engineering.

I'll be attending with my Engineering Biology IRC Co-Chair hat on but I can try to help with transport of demos from Makespace/Biomakespace if needed. For the Makespace labs planning team, there are several companies confirmed as attending so it's potentially a good event to court some sponsorship from the local (bio)tech industry.

Jenny