Neuroscience Outreach Box for Makespace: need help making a neuroprosthetic gripper

Jenny Molloy

Nov 5, 2022, 8:42:57 PM11/5/22
to Biology Club
Hi All

The Biomakespace team with help from Scarlet Pleasance are making a neuroscience outreach box for Makespace with experiments from Backyard Brains (who ran workshops in Makespace back in 2019).

We have an electromyograph (EMG) machine based on an Arduino and we want to make a claw gripper that attaches to it and will open and close depending on the strength of the signal you make when contracting the muscles of your hand (i.e. a neuroprosthetic). It is laser cut with a servo motor, we don't have original designs so there would be some design work.

ClawBundle_HandOpen.jpg

Other things that can be controlled through the relay are also welcomed! There are instructions already for an LCD screen.

Would anyone be willing to make a claw at the next Biomaker Meetup on 16 Nov

There are also two SpikerBox kits that were partially assembled or were assembled but have bits that need reattaching. If anyone could attend the Biomaker Meetup and try to fix them with a bit of remedial soldering and testing, that would be great!

Let me know! I can't be there on 16 Nov but I can leave the box at Makespace and order more materials in advance.

Jenny