Opportunities for helping manage the Makespace biology lab

Jenny Molloy

Jul 5, 2021, 5:12:03 PM7/5/21
to Biology Club
Hi All

Short version: we're looking for new members to help manage BioMakespace, the Makespace biology lab. Get in touch on bio-co...@makespace.org if you think you could help! More info below.....

BioMakespace is now formally merged as the Makespace biology lab and we hope that our labs at the Biomedical Campus will be co-locating with the Makespace workshops in Mill Lane in the not too distant future to bring biology and technology under one roof (details TBC).

We’re now seeking members to help make this a reality and would like to invite any of you who would be interested to join the BioMakespace committee to contact bio-co...@makespace.org

In particular we’re keen to hear from anyone who would like to be involved in:

  1. Helping on-board new members into the lab through tours and our safety assessment. If you want an excuse to meet new people after months indoors, this is a good opportunity, full training is provided on how to run the tours.

  2. Reviewing project proposals and risk assessments. Experience in biosafety and chemical safety are advantageous but we can send you on courses to learn more. You’ll come away with more knowledge about PPE, flammable liquids and bacteria than you thought possible.

  3. Develop training materials to help Makespace members and people beyond our community learn about biotechnology. We’re starting with the basics (PCR, gel electrophoresis) and heading up to advanced (CRISPR genome editing, synthetic biology). Right now we’re focused on online materials but we’re keen to run fantastic hands-on workshops once circumstances allow.

Hope to hear from you soon! No commitment is required to have a quick chat so do get in touch even if you just have some further questions (bio-co...@makespace.org)

Jenny