Laser cutting dark room for Biomakespace

Jenny Molloy

Aug 8, 2021, 6:50:16 PMAug 8
to Biology Club
Hi All

Biomakespace needs a box cutting out of black acrylic to make a mini dark room for our transilluminator which is used to look at bands of DNA. The idea is to have a hole in the top to put a smartphone over and take a picture, something like this;

Bbox-with-FoldaView.png

I made a basic design using MakerCase and Inkscape and put it on the Biomakespace Trello card with this task: https://trello.com/c/fIWxovAO/117-build-a-transilluminator-dark-box-for-main-lab

Would anyone be interested in thinking about a way to improve the design so there is a gap in the front of the box through which you could reach with hands to cut the gel? It would need to let in as little light as possible so would need to be covered. I have 3 mm black acrylic, flame retardant blackout fabric (as used in theatres) and 1 mm black rubber gasket available as materials but those aren't limiting.

Also, if anyone is using the laser cutter in the near future and would be interested to have a go at cutting and constructing one, that would be great! If no one is keen to try an improved design we can go with the original one which took me all of 5 min but will do the job (hopefully) for purely taking images of the DNA bands on the gel.

Jenny

Jenny Molloy

Sep 8, 2021, 4:27:38 PMSep 8
to Biology Club, hcb...@gmail.com
Harry and I discussed this idea at a recent "See the Biomakespace" tour and he mentioned he might be able to do the laser cutting, which would be fabulous!

Harry - would this still be OK?

Jenny

Tony Naggs

Sep 8, 2021, 4:39:12 PMSep 8
to Biology Club, hcb...@gmail.com
I wonder if the shiny surface of acrylic would cause problematic or distracting reflections? My inclination would be to use (laser) plywood.

--
http://biology-club.makespace.org
biolog...@makespace.org

Harry Blakiston Houston

Sep 13, 2021, 3:44:20 AMSep 13
to tony...@gmail.com, Biology Club

Happy to help,

Do you want this cut out or are there still some design changes your wanting to make?

Who is best to chat to on this to get the latest info and what needs to be done to get to from now to a prototype.

Sincerely,

Harry

Chinna Devarapu

Sep 13, 2021, 5:55:58 AMSep 13
to Harry Blakiston Houston, tony...@gmail.com, Biology Club
If one is going through the laser cut option, maybe it is worth looking at Iorodeo's designs.

--
Yours,
Chinna.

Ganga Chinna Rao Devarapu,
Photonics Researcher,
Cork Institute of Technology,
Cork, Ireland.

Harry Blakiston Houston

Sep 13, 2021, 2:44:11 PMSep 13
to Chinna Devarapu, tony...@gmail.com, Biology Club

Is there not a Biology club on tonight? I tried the link on Meetup but I was the only one there?

Seems like a nice design, I’d be perfectly happy to put some time in over the coming weeks to get this done.

Would anyone like to come and give me a hand at Mill road Makespace?

Jenny Molloy

Sep 18, 2021, 12:12:30 PMSep 18
to Biology Club, Harry Blakiston Houston, tony...@gmail.com, Biology Club, chinn...@gmail.com
Hi Harry

Thanks for taking this on! I made the design - it took all of 15 min (MakerCase plus drawing a circle in Inkscape!!) so for sure there are improvements that could be made but it should do what it's supposed to do for this first pass and then it can be refined to a better prototype with user feedback.
I'm likely around in Makespace next weekend building some mini-transilluminators if you wanted some company while cutting.
I'm on leave so finally have some time to finish a couple of hobby projects!

Jenny

Harry Blakiston Houston

Sep 20, 2021, 4:42:23 AMSep 20
to Jenny Molloy, Biology Club, tony...@gmail.com, Biology Club, chinn...@gmail.com

Hello Jenny,

This all sounds good, let me know which days you are in as it would be good to have someone around who knows more about how such a product would be used than I do.

Jenny Molloy

Sep 20, 2021, 6:45:53 AMSep 20
to Harry Blakiston Houston, Jenny Molloy, Biology Club, tony...@gmail.com, chinn...@gmail.com
I'll come in on Saturday morning from 10 or so, if that works! Anyone else want to join?