PCR workshop trainers

Jenny Molloy

Sep 17, 2022, 11:24:01 AM9/17/22
to Biology Club
Hi All

Biomakespace has a well-established PCR workshop to detect TAS2R38 taste receptor mutations that determine if someone can or cannot taste the bitter, harmless compound PTC. We've run it successfully several times before and we have the materials, handouts and reagents. It involves extracting DNA from cheek cells, PCR, restriction digest, gel electrophoresis and of course testing phenotype with paper strips dipped in PTC!

Would anyone be interested to run this workshop at Makespace in the coming months to support the new labs outreach calendar?

If you would like to design and run a different workshop that is also very welcome :)

Get in touch here or via bio-co...@makespace.org if either option appeals. It's good fun and a good experience for anyone interested in training, science communication, public engagement and outreach. Feel free to forward this to anyone you think might be interested, they do not need to be a current member of Makespace.

Jenny