call for talk or workshop for DEF CON's Biohacking Village

Tony Naggs

Jun 25, 2021, 8:57:02 AM6/25/21
to Biology Club
We had an inquiry from Nina Alli, via Twitter direct message -
"Hey @biomakespace! Is there anything you would want to speak or workshop about at this years @DC_BHV during @defcon?"

DEF CON (5th - 8th August, 2021) is the big (several thousand attendees, including military, police) annual 'hacker' convention each summer in Las Vegas, where I have sometimes been a volunteer helper. This year is a mix of in person (subject to local covid restrictions) and remote (via Discord & other channels). Biohacking Village has been a side event since 2014.

Anybody attending DEF CON can attend village talks or register for workshops, I think the Biohacking Village audience includes people experimenting with implantable RFID tags, home biology labs (eg owners of Amino Labs' Amino One), people involved in community biology labs.

So in a year allowing remote presentations, this could be a good opportunity to reach new people, and talk about: community biology labs, your recent or on-going projects, previous projects around the Biomakespace such as the river Cam metagenomics bacterial survey, give a tutorial on using Oxford Nanopore to identify bacteria in multiple samples, open material transfer agreements, etc

I think the Biohacking Village's general call for submissions closed a couple of week's ago, so even if your talk/workshop is not representing Biomakespace as such then I (or anyone with access to the twitter account) can introduce you as a Biomakespace member with a talk/workshop proposal.

I'm also happy to help discuss proposals, help make a submission, ...

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Naggs

Jul 29, 2021, 12:08:52 PM7/29/21
to Biology Club
Hi

The Biohacking Village at this year's DEF CON is a week away! You can see the program here https://www.villageb.io/speakers2021 Mostly seems to be mostly related privacy and security in health care (related to DEF CON themes), rather than the excitement of doing biology in community biohacking spaces.

I am not actually sure if they are live streaming, but most of their talks from previous years are on YouTube -

Chinna Devarapu

Jul 29, 2021, 3:20:07 PM7/29/21
to tony...@gmail.com, Biology Club
Yes, saw this now. Although it is late, I would like to submit the
title and description (I sent separately). Let's hope they accept.
> --
> http://biology-club.makespace.org
> biolog...@makespace.org
> ---