Open Works (other makerspace) Annual Report

J.R. Logan

Feb 20, 2024, 6:52:58 PMFeb 20
to bo...@makehaven.org, Finance-Committee, Outreach-Committee, Staff
I am sharing the Open Works annual report as food for thought. Open works is a makerspace in Baltimore that has been successful in several ways. Its annual report tells a story of significant  grant income, and less growth of membership (membership is $80 per month, and they offer $25 day passes). The annual report is an interesting window into another makerspace's operations: what they measure, the participation levels, the funding and how they present themselves.

Does anything jump out to you from this report?

J.R. Logan
Executive Director
MakeHaven

MakeHaven:  TourNewsletter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram | Website | Donate

Share a skill you have learned?
We can help you become a paid or volunteer instructor at MakeHaven. Let us know you are interested at: https://www.makehaven.org/instructor

Open Works Annual Report 2023_FINAL.pdf

Kate Cebik

Feb 22, 2024, 11:57:28 AMFeb 22
to J.R. Logan, bo...@makehaven.org, Finance-Committee, Outreach-Committee, Staff
I'm primarily struck by the significantly lower membership and "check ins" (I think this is basically entering the space?) and double the staff. They also seem to be heavier in programming and lighter on membership, if I'm reading it correctly. The contract department is intriguing. I'm not sure what I'd suggest to borrow from them in terms of direction, but I'm curious what other people see.
--
Kate Cebik
she/her/hers

Ashley Zdeb

Feb 22, 2024, 7:01:39 PMFeb 22
to Kate Cebik, J.R. Logan, bo...@makehaven.org, Finance-Committee, Outreach-Committee, Staff
I would love to hear more about their programs. 59% of their funding coming from grants also catches my attention, I have to guess that the two are related.

Ashley Zdeb
They/Elle
Education Manager

Want to share a skill you have learned?