Trying to add IPConfig rule breaks Magnolia admin

Sebastian Kleine

Jan 16, 2023, 10:50:48 AM1/16/23
to Magnolia User Mailing List
Hello

Tried to add a Magnolia IPConfig rule on the public system according to https://docs.magnolia-cms.com/product-docs/6.2/Administration/Security/IP-and-HTTP-permissions.html

The description says "To create a rule:"
1. Add a content node in ...

Tried this and immediatly got logged out and the admin panel is not working any longer. I did not even get to the second point of adding ip and methods properties. It just doesn't let me do anything. So just adding an empty content node seems to break the IPConfig filter completly.

Sebastian Kleine

Jan 16, 2023, 11:02:57 AM1/16/23
to Magnolia User Mailing List, Sebastian Kleine
A quick way to recover if done on the public system is to publish the whole /server/IPConfig from the Author system (including subnodes).

Sebastian Kleine

Jan 16, 2023, 11:15:52 AM1/16/23
to Magnolia User Mailing List, Sebastian Kleine
And how can you disallow a certain ip adress or range? I added one and this ip adress can still access the webpage

Richard Gange

Jan 18, 2023, 8:06:02 AM1/18/23
to Magnolia User Mailing List, sebastian....@gmail.com
Hey Sebastian, thanks for reporting the problem. I looked into it and I think the problem was introduce with this change https://jira.magnolia-cms.com/browse/MAGNOLIA-7957. By simply adding a content node it throws a null pointer because of a missing property. It's been recorded as https://jira.magnolia-cms.com/browse/MAGNOLIA-8704. I think the better approach is to duplicate the "allow-all" node first and then reconfigure the properties.

To disallow a certain ip address or range you need to have a / in the config. This is what triggers the condition. See this line https://git.magnolia-cms.com/projects/PLATFORM/repos/main.pub/browse/magnolia-core/src/main/java/info/magnolia/cms/security/IPSecurityManagerImpl.java?at=refs%2Ftags%2Fmagnolia-6.2.27#101

HTH
Rich

Adrian Brooks

Jan 18, 2023, 8:06:12 AM1/18/23