How to migrate to MTE/MTK

he...@mdscs.de

Feb 28, 2018, 5:21:50 AM2/28/18
to Magnolia User Mailing List
Hi all,

is there already some documentation on how to migrate do MTE/MTK?

Thanks, Heike

Antti Hietala

Feb 28, 2018, 5:52:07 AM2/28/18
to Magnolia User Mailing List
Hello Heike,

We don't really recommend migrating STK templates. It's typically not worth the effort. You should rather wait until your STK-based site reaches the end of its natural life (average website lifespan is 2-3 years) and you have an opportunity to rebuild the site. For the new site, consider using MTK or a third-party template framework such as Bootstrap together with MTE templating models and templating functions.

We came to this conclusion when we tried to migrate templates on our own website in 2015. Migration was too time consuming. It was easier to just examine what the STK template did and create an MTK template to do the same thing. After hearing the same story from a few clients Magnolia decided to commit to supporting STK for another three years (until end-of-life on December 31, 2018) so that clients can let their STK-based sites die naturally and can hopefully avoid migration altogether.

--Antti

he...@mdscs.de

Mar 16, 2018, 5:27:46 AM3/16/18
to Magnolia User Mailing List
Hi,

thanks for your answer.
I was thinking about it for some time and had some talks with my customer.
There is no redesign planned for the next future. So, we are stuck to STK.
I don't know, if I am the only one, but I'd rather see the STK supported for some
more time.

Thanks, Heike