ArchivesSpace Monthly Update - June 2024

Bailey-Grace Harrell

Jul 1, 2024, 11:30:45 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to Archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org, Archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org, Archives...@lyrasislists.org, Archives...@lyrasislists.org, Archivesspace_small_...@lyrasislists.org, Archivesspace...@lyrasislists.org, nonmemberar...@googlegroups.com, ArchivesSpaceHome

ArchivesSpace Update – June 2024

Upcoming Schedule at a Glance:

  • July 8 | ArchivesSpace Metadata Community Survey due
  • August 14 | ArchivesSpace 10th Annual Member Forum
  • September 18 | Community-wide training: Basic Record Creation in ArchivesSpace

Call for proposals for the 10th annual ArchivesSpace Member Forum

Registration is now open for the 10th Annual ArchivesSpace Member Forum! This year’s forum will be held on August 14, 2024, in Chicago, IL, at the Chicago Public Library. In addition to this in-person opportunity to meet, we will also be holding a virtual learning opportunity about creating and editing Digital Object records in ArchivesSpace on August 7, 2024.  Registration for this virtual event is separate and you do not need to attend the in-person forum to attend.

This community-driven member forum is a free half-day event open to anyone affiliated with an ArchivesSpace member institution.  Just as in previous years, this will be a free opportunity for staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions to meet and share information with each other and the program team about all things ArchivesSpace.  While this event is free, registration is required.

To that end, everyone attending the in-person meeting is strongly encouraged to consider submitting a proposal. We encourage brief 15-30 minute sessions showing off your organization’s implementation of ArchivesSpace, a tool or plug-in you’ve developed, a project your organization has undertaken or a new workflow you’ve developed. Presentations up to 30 minutes will be considered.

There is a short Google form for proposals available at https://forms.gle/GPy3o1W3pWfLTCvd7. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The last day that proposals will be accepted is July 19, 2024, and all presenters will be notified by July 26, 2024.

We are very excited to be partnering with Archive-It to host our individual forums at the Chicago Public Library. We will also be hosting a joint luncheon with Archive-It immediately following the ArchivesSpace half-day forum.  We hope you will plan to stay and enjoy this time with both ArchivesSpace and Archive-It members and users.

For a more detailed agenda, visit the event wiki at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/3768385553/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2024

Feel free to contact the ArchivesSpace team at Archives...@lyrasis.org with questions. We look forward to seeing many of you there!

Announcing the New ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership Cohort

We are delighted to announce our new cohort for the ArchivesSpace Diversity Partnership, a program designed to offer support for implementing the ArchivesSpace application to institutions that are themselves or primarily serve communities currently underrepresented in the ArchivesSpace community. The five institutions are:

Cherokee National Research Center – based in the tribe’s capital city of Tahlequah, Oklahoma, the research center serves as the official repository for the Cherokee Nation, the largest federally-recognized Native American tribe in the United States. The state-of-the-art facility is home to the tribe’s collection of historic documents and cultural artifacts from the 1700s through present day.

CUNY Haitian Studies Institute – an academic unit within the City University of New York with a threefold mission to contribute to knowledge about Haitians and the Haitian Diaspora, facilitate a community of collaboration among scholars and learners of all ages conducting research or serving the Haitian community and community-based organizations, and engage in analysis and research practices to better understand policy and programs directed at Haiti and the Haitian community.

Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe – based in Massachusetts, the mission of the tribe’s archives is to collect, preserve, and make accessible the material culture and historical record of the Wampanoag people and illuminate the long history of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe, their rich indigenous culture, and the historical significance of their persistent survival in the face of centuries of contact and conquest.

Soomaal House of Art – a Minnesota-based Somali artist collective and arts organization whose mission is to document and preserve contemporary Somali art, the lived experiences of Somali Minnesotans, and the historical archive of Somalia and Somalis.

Texas Southern University – one of the nation’s largest historically black universities, with the Traditional African Art Gallery, the Charles F. Heartman Collection, Barbara Jordan and Mickey Leland Archives and other special collections that are related to the black experience in the United States and the world, the history of the university, and the City of Houston.

We were fortunate to receive many strong applications, from a fascinating group of archives and collecting institutions, which provided our reviewing team with quite a challenge when putting together this relatively small cohort. Our Registered Service Providers provide substantial support for this program and we also want to thank Lydia Tang of Lyrasis Hosting and Anne Marie Lyons of Atlas Systems for joining Jessica Crouch and Christine Di Bella on the selection group this year.

We are excited to have such excellent partners joining the community. We are also very thankful to the partners from our inaugural cohort – Black Cultural Archives, Detroit Sound Conservancy, Spelman College, Weeksville Heritage Center, and Xavier University of Louisiana – for their work with us and for their willingness to stay on and be a source of support for the new partners.

Thanks to all in the ArchivesSpace member community for making programs like this possible. Please feel free to reach out at Archives...@lyrasis.org at any time with questions or thoughts about making ArchivesSpace more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible.

Results of the 2024 Governance Board Elections

Thank you to everyone who participated in the ArchivesSpace 2024 Governance Board Elections. This year the positions for the representatives at the Small, Medium, and Very Large membership levels were up for election. We are happy to announce the results:

Small level: Jared Cowing, Williams College

Medium level: Julia Novakovic, Rochester Institute of Technology

Very Large level: Matthew Neely, University of Oxford

A big thank you to all those who volunteered to serve, and thank you to everyone who voted. To learn more about ArchivesSpace governance, please visit https://archivesspace.org/governance-board-and-councils.

New Appointees to the Technical Advisory and User Advisory Councils

We are delighted to announce the following appointees to our Advisory Councils for from July 1, 2024 to June 30, 2027.

Technical Advisory Council

Mary Kidd, New York Public Library

Corey Schmidt, University of Georgia

Michael Andrec, Ukrainian History and Education Center

Frank Foss, Milwaukee Art Museum

Ojas Kadu, National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research

Stacey Haponik, Western Connecticut State University

Elizabeth Peters, Boston College

Dustin Stokes, Atlas Systems

User Advisory Council

Christine Liebson, Case Western University

Kelly Kress, Huntington Library

Heather Lember, New York Public Library

Elizabeth Delmage, U.S. Naval War College

Noah Lasley, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Kolbe Resnick, Yale University

David Krah, Stanford University

Dalton Alves, George Washington University

Amanda Greenwood, University of Virginia

Thank you to all for stepping up to serve the community in this way and thank you to this year’s Nominating Committee for all their work in recruiting people to serve.

ArchivesSpace Metadata Standards Community Survey

[posted on behalf of the Metadata Standards Sub-team of the Technical Advisory Council]

The Metadata Standards sub-team of the ArchivesSpace Technical Advisory Council is distributing a survey regarding the ArchivesSpace community's adoption and use of various metadata standards, as they relate to the ArchivesSpace application. The survey is available at https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2cuayzugFD3w5w2. We will use the results of this survey to assess ArchivesSpace's support for current and emerging metadata standards, advocate for support of these standards within the application, and provide evidence for the need for application enhancements and performance improvements.

Your input is extremely valuable for this work. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes to complete. We will accept responses until Monday, July 8. Please distribute this survey to anyone in your institution or your professional networks who you believe would be interested.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Community-wide training: Basic Record Creation in ArchivesSpace

ArchivesSpace will be offering our next community-wide training on September 18, 2024, from 12pm-3pm ET/9am- 12pm PT. This training will cover basic record creation in ArchivesSpace.

Upon completing this workshop, you’ll have learned how to use ArchivesSpace to:

  • Navigate and customize the Staff User Interface
  • Create and find Records
  • Navigate and customize the Public User Interface
  • Create Accession Records
  • Create Resource Records and their components
  • Create Instances
  • Understand Digital Objects in ArchivesSpace

This training assumes a basic understanding of archival workflows and metadata formats as well as experience navigating the staff user interface of ArchivesSpace.

If you are interested in attending this training, you can register at https://www.lyrasis.org/ASpaceEventSeptember

This training is open to anyone using or interested in ArchivesSpace but ArchivesSpace members are eligible for a discount. If you qualify for the member discount, you will need to reach out to Archives...@lyrasis.org to receive a member promo code before registering.

If you have any questions, please email Archives...@lyrasis.org

ArchivesSpace Demonstration and Overview of Member Benefits

Thank you to everyone who attended the June 5th ArchivesSpace demonstration and overview of member benefits. The recording to this demonstration is now available on our YouTube channel at  https://youtu.be/2mcm4kmsyN0.

This demo featured an overview of the application, a brief explanation of the ArchivesSpace Staff and Public User Interfaces and an introduction to the ArchivesSpace member community and member benefits.

These demos are intended to assist those who are considering using the ArchivesSpace application at their organization to determine if ArchivesSpace is the right tool for their needs.

These demonstrations are not intended for those already using ArchivesSpace or those looking for ArchivesSpace training opportunities

For more information about this demo, ArchivesSpace, and ArchivesSpace membership, email Archives...@lyrasis.org

Community-wide Training: Data Clean Up, Exports, and Reporting

Thank you to everyone who attended the June 26th community-wide training, Data Clean Up, Exports, and Reporting. The recording for this training will be available soon in the Help Center.

As members of the ArchivesSpace community, we value your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve these training. You can complete the survey evaluation for this workshop here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VSP7PKD

If you are interested in attending an upcoming ArchivesSpace training, you can learn more at https://archivesspace.org/using-archivesspace/trainings

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Some of our new members since May 31st include:

  • California State Railroad Museum | Sacramento, CA
  • Palama Settlement | Honolulu, HI
  • The Lovett School | Atlanta, GA
  • University of North Dakota | Grand Forks, ND

As of June 30, we have 498 General members, 23 Educational Program members, 3 Registered Service Providers, and 1 Consortium Provider.

Thank you to our current ArchivesSpace members for your contribution to the development and sustainability of the ArchivesSpace application.  ArchivesSpace has a membership model to support the continued development of the application and user community and ArchivesSpace members are eligible for a variety of benefits.  If you are interested in ArchivesSpace membership for your organization, email us at Archives...@lyrasis.org

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace non-member Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Bailey-Grace Harrell

ArchivesSpace Program Assistant

Bailey-gra...@lyrasis.com

signature_3497040719