Adding more file versions to DO import templates?

Olivia S Solis

May 28, 2024, 1:58:59 PMMay 28
to Archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org
--
Olivia Solis, MSIS (she/her)
Metadata Coordinator
Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
The University of Texas at Austin
2300 Red River St. Stop D1100
Austin TX, 78712-1426

Corey Schmidt

May 30, 2024, 11:57:18 AMMay 30
to Olivia S Solis, archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org
Hey Olivia,

I believe you are correct that the bulk import template and digital object template do not let you add more than 1 (or 2 for a thumbnail for the bulk importer) file version. I can think of two ways to approach this issue.

The first would be to open a JIRA ticket with ASpace and ask that the bulk import digital object template be changed to enable multiple file versions per one digital object. There's been work done in the past to change that spreadsheet template, so it wouldn't be out of the question. You would still need to create multiple spreadsheets per repository, however.

The second is to use the API for the workflow, but use some sort of GUI interface or simple command line script for your staff to use instead of messing around with the API directly. I've done something tangentially similar to this with our ASpace > DLG spreadsheet workflow app. I could see a GUI app for this workflow looking something like that, except it would work to push data to ArchivesSpace, like the following:

  1. Design your own spreadsheet template with all the metadata you/ArchivesSpace need for creating and linking digital objects (including multiple file versions and links to specific archival objects - I would recommend either grabbing the archival object URIs specifically, so it has the correct repository ID number and you would be able to have one spreadsheet for archival objects of any repository).
  2. Deliver the spreadsheet template to your staff to fill out the digitization metadata - file versions, digital object titles, etc.. The GUI/script could do this part if you already know what archival objects you want to link - pre-filling some fields by pulling metadata from ArchivesSpace.
    1. If you use barcodes, unique IDs or something for the archival objects, you could have your staff enter that as input in the GUI/script, fetch the metadata from ASpace, then fill out those rows in the spreadsheet template and give them a copy to fill out the rest of the info. This is very similar to the app we designed.
  3. Once the staff are done digitizing and filling in all the metadata in the spreadsheet, they go back to the GUI/script and give it the updated spreadsheet. The GUI/script can then make all the appropriate API calls and error handling for them.

The above workflow is another spreadsheet template to track and a specialized script to maintain, but it could help make the process easier for staff.

Hope this helps in some way, I'm willing to chat more if you want to brainstorm ideas.

Sincerely,

Corey

May 30, 2024, 12:26:07 PMMay 30
to Corey Schmidt, archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org
Wow, thank you so much, Corey! I will take a closer look at your tool.

I'm wondering if others out there would like to see extended functionality of the existing spreadsheet. I'd be happy to start a ticket, incorporating any community input. I know the features I want to see, but we use very minimal fields in general since we're mainly pointing out to our repo and internally our storage system. I would think a reconsideration of the spreadsheets would be in order since there was just so much work on the DO module.

Since I didn't hear from anyone, I figured it wasn't possible to add multiple file versions and began working on a very sketchy process. I would probably initially be the one to do all posting, and was designing a spreadsheet that would make it a little easier on me. The idea is it pulls in the data from spreadsheets bound for our repo which we leverage to join to the associated AO. It forms the JSON in a cell for me to post:

The is really nascent, and based on an existing DO record I had used to model a JSON template from. Without really thinking about it, I was happy to see that the record I used included an AO and resource URI for the instance and thought it would add the DO instance, which is included in this JSON. It does not create an instance, as I should have immediately realized. I will need an additional step of linking the DO to the AO.

But perhaps a tool like yours could change our approach.

Thanks again! If anyone else endorses a JIRA ticket let me know.

-Olivia

Olivia S Solis

May 31, 2024, 9:41:55 AMMay 31
to Corey Schmidt, archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org
Hello all,

For anyone interested, I created a couple of new JIRA tickets regarding the digital object import spreadsheet Digital Object CSV:

I deliberated on a reporting strategy since there are 2 separate spreadsheets you can use to bulk import DOs, neither of which do everything I want. I just picked one, the one that has the fuller fields, and added the feature requests in reference to that one. It seems like there should be one import spreadsheet for easier maintenance? In the feature request for multiple file versions, I also requested the ability to mark one as representative. Hopefully that isn't shoving too much in one issue, but that seemed to go hand in hand with the additional file versions.

Corey, thanks again for sharing your tool. After looking it over more closely with my team, I may have more questions.

Thanks,
Olivia

Corey Schmidt

Jun 5, 2024, 3:12:16 PMJun 5
to Olivia S Solis, archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org

Olivia,

Glad to help! Thanks for posting those JIRA tickets – I think they’ll bring valued enhancements to the Digital Object CSV importer for a number of folks.

If I understand the differences between the Bulk Import DO template and the Digital Object CSV, the latter was created before the former, since the Bulk Import DO template came from a Harvard plugin that was incorporated into the main code back in version 2.8. By adding the ability to link archival objects to the Digital Object CSV importer, that could make the Bulk Import DO template redundant, because as the Digital Object CSV currently exists, it doesn’t link to archival objects like the Bulk Import DO template does. However, the way you import is slightly different. Bulk Import DO imports via the “Load via Spreadsheet” option in the resource page, but that gets kicked to a background job from the “Load Spreadsheet” popup. Digital Object CSV imports via a background job directly.

There was a member discussion about expanding the capabilities of digital object importing (as well as bulk editing and exporting) – 2022-12-14 Digital Objects Member Discussion. I think this discussion fits neatly within that desire to expand functionality. The tricky part is figuring out how to adjust the background code and front-end interface if we want to condense the importers into one process.

Corey