manage top containers typeahead

Maureen Cresci Callahan

Jun 25, 2024, 7:51:57 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to Archivesspace_Users_Group
Hi all,

We're noticing that since the most recent upgrade, the resource typeahead for the search in "Manage Top Containers" seems to be broken. The typeahead isn't filtering to relevant results... at all.

I saw Matt Adair's message about relevant results not showing up when searching locations to associate with top containers (and the Jira ticket). It seems to be associated with dashes in the results records. The folks at Lyrasis mentioned that others are seeing strange behavior in the manage top container search and that they think that this is an application issue, rather than a problem with our instance.

But I'm hoping others might be willing to try to reproduce this behavior so that I can really rule out that this isn't a problem with our instance. For anyone using the most recent version of ArchivesSpace, could you please go into "Manage Top Containers", start entering the name of a resource in the resource typeahead, and let me know if you do (or don't) get relevant results?

We're doing a huge survey project this summer and really relying on being able to use the Manage Top Containers function. I hope that this is a local problem and not an application bug!

Thanks,
Maureen

Maureen Cresci Callahan
Head of Archives & Special Collections
UConn Library
860-486-3646 | lib.uconn.edu

Regine I. Heberlein

Jun 25, 2024, 8:16:32 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to Maureen Cresci Callahan, Archivesspace_Users_Group

Hi Maureen,

Fwiw, we recently upgraded to 3.5.0, and the Resource typeahead seems to behave normally for me—i.e., the typeahead retrieves relevant matches as I type, and they float near the top of the list.

Hope this helps! Good luck with sorting it out!

-Regine

Regine Heberlein (she/her)

Library IT Data Analyst

609-258-6156

hebe...@princeton.edu

**My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your regular working hours.**

Dan Michelson

Jun 25, 2024, 8:26:37 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to Regine I. Heberlein, Maureen Cresci Callahan, Archivesspace_Users_Group
Hi Maureen,

Like Regine, we've encountered no issues with the resource typeahead in manage top containers after upgrading to 3.5.0.  I see that ANW-1980 was reported as being from 3.4.1, so it seems unlikely to be the same issue as something that only cropped up after upgrading to 3.5.0.

All the best,

Dan

--
Dan Michelson
Collections Archivist

Cresci Callahan, Maureen

Jun 25, 2024, 8:40:41 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to Dan Michelson, Regine I. Heberlein, Archivesspace_Users_Group
Thank you, both! This is very helpful.

MCC

Maureen Cresci Callahan
Head of Archives & Special Collections

UConn Library
860-486-3646 | lib.uconn.edu

Jun 25, 2024, 9:01:26 AM (8 days ago) Jun 25
to Archivesspace_Users_Group
Dashes could definitely be a problem since they tend to indicate 'omit whatever is after this dash' to Solr. We've had issues with something similar since we use dashes/hyphens in our identifiers.

Couple of things to try that might indicate whether the dashes are a problem.

  1. Try using quotes around your typeahead phrase. You may need a wildcard in there if you use quotes: "ms-1234" or "ms-1234*"
  2. Try using AND in the typeahead if your dashes are space separated (e.g. ms - 1234): ms and 1234

Best,
Joshua