Bulk Adding Subjects to Existing Finding Aids

Elizabeth Hogan

Jun 19, 2024, 1:40:12 PMJun 19
to Archivesspace_Users_Group
I am looking for a way to bulk add subjects to existing finding aids in ArchivesSpace.  Subject fields are not currently available in the Bulk Update spreadsheet.  The only way I know how to do this is through the Bulk Import (Harvard) spreadsheet, which means deleting existing finding aids and replacing them.  This is not ideal.

The subjects are necessary because this is how we can find material based on format.  Our old system hinged on the identifer to indicate format (photographs begin with "G", audio/visual begin with "A", microfilm begins with "M", etc.).  Since I can't search archival records by identifer in AS, we need to be able to tag them with subjects.  Unfortunately, this wasn't fully address when we migrated to AS, so discoverability is an issue for many of the photograph collections.

Thanks,

Elizabeth Hogan

Senior Archivist for Photographs

University of Notre Dame

Hesburgh Libraries | University of Notre Dame Archives

607 Hesburgh Library, Notre Dame, IN  46556

(574) 631-9201 | archives.nd.edu