How Do You Catalog Foreign Language Materials?

VivianLea Solek

Jun 13, 2024, 3:24:56 PMJun 13
to Archivesspace_Users_Group

Good afternoon all,

 I am working on how we will catalog foreign language materials (of which there is a lot) in our collection. Do I capture the title in the foreign language and then put the English translation in parenthesis after it? That makes the fields VERY bulky and cluttered. OR do I just put the English title and indicate in the languages field which languages or “multiple languages,” if more than one language? My catalog will never be public-facing, and I will be the one searching the database.

Thoughts? How are you doing it? Why?

MANY thanks!

Vivian Lea