Error creating archivesspace core

Johnnie W Adams

Jun 10, 2024, 2:59:47 PMJun 10
to Archivesspace_Users_Group
Hi, folks,

     I've been following these instructions and am frustrated. When I get to this step:

Now create the core:
bin/solr create -c archivesspace -d archivesspace

     I consistently fail with this error:

ERROR: Error CREATEing SolrCore 'archivesspace': Unable to create core [archivesspace] Caused by: solr.ICUCollationField

     I consistently succeed by leaving off the -d archivesspace, but that seems like cheating.

     Any thoughts?

Thanks,

     John A

Johnnie W Adams

Jun 10, 2024, 3:03:17 PMJun 10
to Archivesspace_Users_Group, Johnnie W Adams

Oh, d'oh--I'm using solr 8.11.3

Blake Carver

Jun 10, 2024, 3:05:33 PMJun 10
to Archivesspace_Users_Group
8.11.3 should be fine. That error probably comes from configs that are messed up or just in some way. Can you make sure you only have the 4 files in your config sets and they are from the 3.5 release version only?

Jun 10, 2024, 3:09:36 PMJun 10
to Archivesspace_Users_Group, Blake Carver
Hi, Blake,

     I have exactly four files in the server/solr/configset/archivesspace/conf directory and they are all taken directly from the current git repo.

Thanks,

     John A

Scott Kushner

Jun 10, 2024, 3:18:25 PMJun 10
to Johnnie W Adams, Archivesspace_Users_Group, Blake Carver
I had that error...

I can't remember exactly what it was, but it had something to do with the pathing of your solr core...

This is the error that I had..
"msg": "Status 404 when trying to verify http://localhost:8983/solr/archivesspaceServer response:\n{\n \"responseHeader\":{\n \"status\":404,\n \"QTime\":2},\n \"error\":{\n \"metadata\":[\n \"error-class\",\"org.apache.solr.common.SolrException\",\n \"root-error-class\",\"org.apache.solr.common.SolrException\"],\n \"msg\":\"Can not find: schema.xml [/opt/solr-8.11.1/server/solr/archivesspace/conf/schema.xml]\",\n \"code\":404}}\n",
Look in the archivesspace.out log...

Sorry that I can't be more specific.

Good luck.

--
Scott Kushner
Systems and Emerging Technologies Librarian

Saint Peter's University

The Jesuit University of New Jersey

Theresa & Edward O'Toole Library
99 Glenwood Ave.
Jersey City, New Jersey 07306

p: (201) 761-6456
f:  (201) 761-6451

Steele, Henry

Jun 10, 2024, 3:19:40 PMJun 10
to Johnnie W Adams, Archivesspace_Users_Group, Blake Carver
I can tell you what our problem was on a local ArchivesSpace instance.   I thing the solrconfig.xml that’s included in the 3.5 release is really , or partially meant for Solr 9 , which ArcvivesSpace documentation says isn’t supported.

I got around this issue by using the schema.xml in 3.5 in GitHub , but the solrconfig.xml from 3.4.  , which is consistent with 8.x versions of Solr

I had this exact same error message and also found this very frustrating with a local install

Thus I am not using the configset exactly as it is in this release

Sent: Monday, June 10, 2024 3:09:36 PM
To: Archivesspace_Users_Group <archivesspac...@lyrasislists.org>
Cc: Blake Carver <blake....@lyrasis.org>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lyrasislists.org/d/msgid/Archivesspace_Users_Group/1bc1f548-e0bf-43da-abba-abf96a38c14fn%40lyrasislists.org.

Caution: This message originated from outside of the Tufts University organization. Please exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments. When in doubt, email the TTS Service Desk at i...@tufts.edu or call them directly at 617-627-3376.

Johnnie W Adams

Jun 10, 2024, 3:27:59 PMJun 10
to Archivesspace_Users_Group, Steele, Henry, Blake Carver, Johnnie W Adams
Hi, Henry,

     Going back to the 3.4.x branch and getting that file seems to have fixed me up--thanks!

All the best,

     John A

Christine Di Bella

Jun 10, 2024, 3:52:23 PMJun 10
to Johnnie W Adams, Archivesspace_Users_Group, Steele, Henry, Blake Carver

Hi everyone,

This is strange, because we’ve confirmed that the solrconfig included with the 3.5.0 release is correct and there are many successful ArchivesSpace installs out there in the wild to prove it.

John – though it sounds like you have something that’s working now, this probably isn’t the best way forward. I’ll put a technical support ticket in for you to diagnose further what may be going on. You’ll see another message to you separately about that.

Christine

Christine Di Bella

ArchivesSpace Senior Program Manager

christin...@lyrasis.org