Access denied for user 'archivesspace'@'localhost'

Johnnie W Adams

Jun 7, 2024, 11:37:19 AMJun 7
to Archivesspace_Users_Group
Hi, folks,

     I'm involved in upgrading/migrating our ArchivesSpace server from 3.1.1 to 3.5.0 and from RHEL 7 to RHEL 9 and have hit a mystifying issue. When trying to start archivesspace, I get this error (along with a long stack of verbiage):

Jun 07, 2024 10:27:55 AM org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler$Context log

INFO: DEBUG: due a previous initialization failure application instance can not be returned

Jun 07, 2024 10:27:55 AM org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler$Context log

INFO: INFO: resetting rack response due exception: org.jruby.rack.RackInitializationException: Java::JavaSql::SQLException: Access denied for user 'archivesspace'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

     But when I check config.rb and test the password directly, it is correct. Any thoughts? I feel like we're just on the edge of making this work.

Thanks,

     John A

Johnnie W Adams

Jun 7, 2024, 11:45:15 AMJun 7
to Archivesspace_Users_Group

For completeness' sake:

AppConfig[:db_url] = "jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/archivesspace?user=archivesspace&password=OurPassword&useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8&useSSL=false"

Trevor Thornton

Jun 7, 2024, 11:59:43 AMJun 7
to Johnnie W Adams, Archivesspace_Users_Group
You probably need to do something like this:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON archivesspace.* TO 'archivesspace'@'localhost';

If the archivesspace user doesn't already exist you'll need do one of these:
CREATE USER 'archivesspace'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'OurPassword';

The archivesspace user needs to have all the privileges, which is often more than a DBA will give a regular user.

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries

Johnnie W Adams

Jun 7, 2024, 12:28:56 PMJun 7
to Trevor Thornton, Archivesspace_Users_Group
Well, that returned bad news:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON archivesspace.* TO 'archivesspace'@'localhost';

ERROR 1805 (HY000): Column count of mysql.user is wrong. Expected 51, found 45. The table is probably corrupted

Perhaps I didn't get the smooth transition from MySQL 5.7 to 8.0 that I'd hoped for.
--
John Adams
Senior Linux/Middleware Administrator  | Information Technology Services

Reminder:  IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that come via email, even from known contacts.  For more information or to report suspicious email, visit IT Security.