DRAFT EC MINUTES 6/9/22 V1

Secretary LNC

Jun 12, 2022, 12:58:07 PMJun 12
to lnc-business
Attached please find V1 of the minutes for the June 9, 2022, Executive Committee meeting submitted for the auto-approval process (see procedure below).  Although these get approved absent objection only from EC members, any LNC or EC member can offer corrections over the next 14 days.

1.02(6) Minutes
***
Meeting minutes for Executive Committee meetings may be promoted from draft status to official during the time between Executive Committee meetings as follows:
• Draft minutes for Executive Committee meetings shall be emailed to all LNC Members not more than seven (7) days after each meeting.
• Absent objection from an Executive Committee member who attended the meeting, the minutes shall be deemed to be approved fourteen (14) days after their distribution.
• Executive Committee minutes shall be distributed to all LNC Members and alternates within seven (7) days of such approval.
• The Secretary shall send an official copy of meeting minutes to staff within seven (7) days of the promotion of those minutes from draft to official status for posting on the Party website and shall provide a final copy to all LNC members.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250
EC-MINUTES_2022-06-09_V1.pdf

Secretary LNC

Jun 13, 2022, 10:33:16 AMJun 13
to lnc-business
Mr. Phillies pointed out one misspelling, here is V2.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

EC-MINUTES_2022-06-09_V2.pdf

Mark Tuniewicz

Jun 13, 2022, 2:07:38 PMJun 13
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Mdm. Secy., & EC members,

Was there notice given prior to this EC meeting that the EC was going to go into Executive Session?

As I'm sure you know, and regardless of any policy manual or RONR provision to the contrary, such notice is important because it gives members who are interested in the topic an opportunity to participate in the public comment period.

Apologies if I missed that such notice was given.

Thank you for your consideration, and for your continued commitment to liberty.

With best wishes,

Mark Tuniewicz
Region 6 Alternate
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.

Dave Benner

Jun 13, 2022, 3:55:04 PMJun 13
to lnc-business, Mark Tuniewicz
From my understanding, meetings of the Executive Committee are not synonymous with "executive session" - of which the parameters for usage are outlined in Article 7, Section 15 of the bylaws - but I can understand the confusion given the terminology. The Executive Committee took up the subject of ballot access issues, which I believe they are empowered to do in the Policy Manual in between regular meetings of the LNC as a whole.

In the past, I think the Secretary has raised a good point that it may be preferable to refer to Executive Committees in some way that removes the "executive terminology" to alleviate the confusion.

Secretary LNC

Jun 13, 2022, 3:55:53 PMJun 13
to lnc-business
Notice of going into Executive Session is not required prior to meetings (as long as the need for Executive Session is related in some way to the items which were noticed) though it is good form to do so if it is expected or known for the reasons you said (like how it is typical for the agenda of in-person meetings to say during the portion allotted for counsel's report that "portions may be in Executive Session").  It was not expected or known ahead of time this would be the case for this meeting.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Jun 13, 2022, 3:59:25 PMJun 13
to lnc-business, Mark Tuniewicz
I refer to Executive Session generally as "Secret Session" for two reasons though some people in the past thought I was doing it to be obnoxious, I was not:

1.  It reminds us that it is secret, out of view of members, and thus should be rare and short and limited
2.  The confusion in terminology.  The LNC can go into Executive Session.  The Executive Committee can go into Executive Session.

If Mr. Tuniewicz is asking if notice was given of the MEETING, yes of course.  I believe that is required.  And there a lot of public comment in the chat and an opportunity to do so on the mic.  If the chat or opportunity for microphone public commentary is ever not given, it means I was outvoted.  Those things are very important to me (and I suspect to everyone on this body, though in the past there has been good faith disagreement on this issue).

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Mark Tuniewicz

Jun 13, 2022, 10:56:03 PMJun 13
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Folks,

There's no confusion as to terminology.

In general, I am advocating that it be noted in published agendas ahead of time if we plan on going into Exec. Session during an Exec. Comm. meeting  (or LNC meeting, for that matter).  This is very common practice.  There are very few things that cannot wait for such notice to be given ahead of time, and it's a disservice to the membership NOT to give such notice.  I don't believe the competing candidates in the NH situation warranted an Exec Session without such notice.

Thanks for keeping this important transparency issue in mind..

Secretary LNC

Jun 13, 2022, 11:37:01 PMJun 13
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Thank you Mr. Tuniewicz, very good points.

Dave Benner

Jun 14, 2022, 9:18:37 AMJun 14
to lnc-business, Secretary LNC
My apologies Mark, I didn't realize that the Executive Committee actually went into executive session during the meeting. I'm confusing myself now!

Secretary LNC

Jun 25, 2022, 12:57:54 PMJun 25
to lnc-business
Tomorrow is the last day for corrections in this initial period in the auto-approval process.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Jun 27, 2022, 3:45:32 PMJun 27
to lnc-business
Okay V2 in prior email is now the set of minutes in second phase of auto-approval process.  If no further corrections are submitted by 7/5/22 they will be deemed to be auto-approved.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Jul 9, 2022, 5:13:30 PMJul 9
to lnc-business
These are auto-approved.  I will get them finalized and one the site and LPedia.