Dec 4-5 Meeting Preliminary Info

Robert Kraus

Oct 13, 2021, 4:59:12 PM10/13/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org

What: LNC Budget Meeting & LNC Holiday Party Details

When: Weekend of 12/04-05

Where: DoubleTree Suites Boston – Cambridge, 400 Soldiers Field Road Boston, MA 02134 - www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bossbdt-doubletree-suites-boston-cambridge

The DoubleTree Cambridge overlooks the Charles River, our hotel offers a scenic seasonal rooftop and live entertainment at the world-renowned Scullers Jazz Club. It is half a mile south of Harvard Business School & just over a mile from bustling Harvard Square

Sleeping Room Info: $130 a night for River View King Suite with Separate Bedroom - or Family King with Murphy "Urban" Bed (for those that need 2 beds - they do not have doubles avail at this time)

Reservations: By calling 617-783-0090 ext 1 & asking for Libertarian Board Meeting Block - or via online link: https://tinyurl.com/LPDEC

Schedule of Events:

Sat 12/04 & Sun 12/05 LNC Meeting in the Charles River Ballroom on 2nd floor usually from 9 am - 6 pm Sat & 9 am - 2 pm Sun

Sat 09/04 Evening LNC Holiday Party at location TBD - link to be provided soon - free to Staff & LNC

Transportation & Parking: Parking is at our group's very reduce rate of $15 a night self park - the do not have an airport shuttle at this time

Additional Info:

Dining Options at Hotel (they will open Boathouse at 7:30 am Sat for our group): https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bossbdt-doubletree-suites-boston-cambridge/dining/

Things to do: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bossbdt-doubletree-suites-boston-cambridge/explore/

Full Reservation Link: https://www.hilton.com/en/attend-my-event/bossbdt-lbm-7e87443c-f5f9-4695-9e23-9c19de99c98d/

In Liberty,

Robert

Robert S. Kraus - Operations Director
Opera...@LP.org
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
1444 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 202.333.0008 x 231
Direct: 571-290-5408

Donate or Join: https://www.lp.org/leaders-staff/robert-kraus/

Member: Association of Meeting Professionals (AMPs)
2019 "Planner of the Year"

John Phillips

Oct 14, 2021, 11:29:58 AM10/14/21
to Lp
Robert did I read correctly on the other thread that this is incorrect about the party?

That it is NOT free for staff and board members, and that tickets will be $150 PER PERSON?  So for Erin and I to go would be $300?

I understand that the event is not your thing, so the rest of this is not directed at you.

I am very disappointed that we would schedule a high dollar event around an LNC meeting.  The cost for us after also having to absorb travel and lodging is not great, but what is really problematic to me is that on location LNC meetings should be a time when we are making the board easily accessible to area members, not just the well off ones.  I understand the fund raising aspects, but a balance needs to be found, and 150 a person is not it.

That is going to have to be a hard pass from me. Perhaps one of our local members will have a Karaoke place for us to mingle with people at a more reasonable price.

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

Erin Adams

Oct 14, 2021, 11:34:18 AM10/14/21
to lnc-business
I agree with mr. Phillips. The whole point in my mind in meetings traveling from region to region is to increase access to the body and $150 a person price tag does not do that.

Erin Adams region 7 Representative

Whitney Bilyeu

Oct 14, 2021, 12:23:07 PM10/14/21
to lnc-business
What other thread are

Whitney Bilyeu

LNC | Chair

LP.org

Whitney Bilyeu

Oct 14, 2021, 12:23:30 PM10/14/21
to lnc-business
John, what other thread are you referring to?

Whitney Bilyeu

LNC | Chair

LP.org

John Phillips

Oct 14, 2021, 12:51:55 PM10/14/21
to Lp
The reply to Mr Hagan's email regarding delegate counts

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

Richard Longstreth

Oct 14, 2021, 1:50:03 PM10/14/21
to lnc-business
I also strongly echo the notes of Mr Phillips and Ms Adams. I've stated as much in the past and recent meetings have not gone this route (probably why it was noted there would be no cost initially).

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Susan Hogarth

Oct 14, 2021, 2:58:07 PM10/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I certainly understand the concerns about cost and access to LNC members. I hope you plan a casual breakfast meeting for Sunday with the state party so that we all have time to chat with members.

I’ve asked the Chair to start Sunday’s agenda at 10am for that purpose.

Susan
--
Susan Hogarth
919-906-2106

Dustin Nanna

Oct 15, 2021, 9:20:27 PM10/15/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yeah I won't be paying 150 bucks to attend either. Sorry not sorry.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Alex Flores

Oct 16, 2021, 2:03:43 PM10/16/21
to lnc-business
Hello

Just for clarification purposes, am I understanding correctly that the event is being titled a "LNC Holiday Party" but LNC Members have to pay $150 each to attend it? Or did I misunderstand and the $150 is  for a different event?

Alex Flores
Region 1 Alternate
Libertarian National Committee

John Phillips

Oct 16, 2021, 2:54:18 PM10/16/21
to Lp
I think that we need to make clear again that this is less about the cost to board members and more about the cost to party members to attend.  Of course in this case it does apply to both.

Several on the board have extensive food and beverage experience, particularly on the COC.  All of which I am sure will tell you that you can do a very nice plated dinner for much less than this.  Heck you can do dinner at a very nice steak house with drinks for less than this.  The platinum package for the entire state of illinois convention which included multiple meals was this much - and showed a profit.  With covering expenses for speakers.

It is my opinion that everyone has been polite to this point.  I am going to be slightly less so.

This is UNACCEPTABLE.  I move that we direct this plan be redone or scrapped and a more inclusive, less costly plan be developed.

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

John Phillips

Oct 16, 2021, 3:24:15 PM10/16/21
to Lp
I forgot. I want to make clear that in my mind the blame for this falls on us, not staff members.  It is our fault for not clearly communicating the dual purpose of these events or expectations.  That falls on us.

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

Dustin Nanna

Oct 17, 2021, 1:16:25 PM10/17/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I would second Mr Phillips' motion. I likely won't attend at any price point because I just don't have tons of extra money right now personally, but our members should be able to attend for less than 150.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Susan Hogarth

Oct 17, 2021, 9:43:16 PM10/17/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Not to argue but to outline a counter point:

We should and can have both fundraisers and non-fundraising member-participation events.

Personally I think the attempt to mix the two is what often causes friction.

Let’s do the fancy funders. Let’s do the egalitarian get-togethers. There’s nothing that makes these two goals incompatible, except for trying to do them at the same time.

Susan

John Phillips

Oct 17, 2021, 9:54:12 PM10/17/21
to Lp
I would absolutely support that as well Susan. That would solve my concerns as well.

In fact I ve long said we should be trying to set up activism events to coincide with our meetings.  Like in Austin we could have set up an immigration protest at the processing center that was near there.

To cover the flipside as well however, many times we use some of our non meeting time to workshop motions etc, and time is of a premium for most of us with traveling etc.  Also, I think part of what hurt us in Kentucky was there being multiple events over the weekend.

I am not opposed to the idea at all tho, just thinking we ll need to find a balance in the process.

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

Laura Ebke

Oct 17, 2021, 10:35:12 PM10/17/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Indeed, time is the issue. For those traveling in on Friday and out on Sunday in order to limit vacation days taken, squeezing in something on two evenings is problematic. Now, if we wanted to go a little later on Saturday, and could compress all of our business into one day, we could do a brunch on Sunday’s before everyone disperses…

Saturday night could be a fundraiser and Sunday morning a more casual event. Or vice versa…

Laura

Sent from my iPhone

Erin Adams

Oct 18, 2021, 10:40:09 AM10/18/21
to lnc-business
Those sound like wonderful ways to address this issue

Erin Adams region 7 Representative

Susan Hogarth

Oct 18, 2021, 10:46:43 AM10/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Thanks folks! I hadn’t considered brunch; my thought was to start business late on Sunday morning and have a lunch. But I love the brunch idea! I also love having a ‘hard stop’ on business.

Perhaps the meeting site could be the location, or something close by. Shall I speak with the Chair in MA?

Susan

Rich Bowen

Oct 18, 2021, 10:59:05 AM10/18/21
to lnc-business
Ms. Hogarth,

Speaking to Ms. Shade of Massachusetts would be a great idea.

She has previously communicated to me the following regarding the Boston meeting:  "I would love to have more communication from whomever is planning this event and meeting so LP Massachusetts can actively participate."

Rich

--
Rich Bowen
Libertarian National Committee

Susan Hogarth

Oct 18, 2021, 11:00:19 AM10/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
On it!

Tara DeSisto

Oct 18, 2021, 11:11:21 AM10/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Rich, Ashley and I spoke last week. We are on the same page.

-Tara

Robert Kraus

Nov 17, 2021, 3:29:16 PM11/17/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org, Tara DeSisto

What: LNC Budget Meeting & LNC Holiday Party Details

When: Weekend of 12/04-05

Where: DoubleTree Suites Boston – Cambridge, 400 Soldiers Field Road Boston, MA 02134 - www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bossbdt-doubletree-suites-boston-cambridge

The DoubleTree Cambridge overlooks the Charles River, our hotel offers a scenic seasonal rooftop and live entertainment at the world-renowned Scullers Jazz Club. It is half a mile south of Harvard Business School & just over a mile from bustling Harvard Square

Sleeping Room Info: $130 a night for River View King Suite with Separate Bedroom - or Family King with Murphy "Urban" Bed (for those that need 2 beds - they do not have doubles avail at this time)

Reservations: By calling 617-783-0090 ext 1 & asking for Libertarian Board Meeting Block - or via online link: https://tinyurl.com/LPDEC

Note: They are almost all booked up for our weekend - so if you have not yet reserved a room let me know arrival/departure dates & we will take care of you!

Schedule of Events:

Fri 12/03: The Freedom Trail Tour will begin at 2pm in Boston Common. Tara will meet folks at the Doubletree Hotel at 1:00pm to take people over who are unfamiliar with the hotel. Friday evening the Libertarian Association of Massachusetts (LAMA) will be hosting a mixer at 2twenty2 at 4 Liberty Square starting at 7pm. Tabs will be your own. Light snacks provided. RSVPs for the tour and the Friday evening LAMA Mixer can be sent to crawfo...@gmail.com. Dress is casual for both events. You will want to dress warmly if you are planning to do the walking tour. Pack your sweaters for this trip.

Sat 12/04 & Sun 12/05: LNC Meeting in the Charles River Ballroom on 2nd floor usually from 9 am - 5 pm Sat & 9 am - 2 pm Sun. Dunkin Donuts will be provided compliments of Tara & the LAMA each morning. Coffee will also be available from the hotel. There will be a light deli lunch Sat served in the meeting space around 12:15 pm.

Sat 09/04 Evening: The Chair will host a Holiday Fundraiser at the Liberty Hotel's Alibi Lounge at 6pm. Tickets are $150 per person and can be purchased here.  Food and drink included with ticket price. Dress is cocktail attire. We appreciate the LNC Board Members who have already purchased tickets and we look forward to seeing you there.

Transportation & Parking: Parking is at our group's very reduce rate of $15 a night self park - the do not have an airport shuttle at this time

Additional Info:

Dining Options at Hotel (they will open Boathouse at 7:30 am Sat for our group): https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bossbdt-doubletree-suites-boston-cambridge/dining/

Things to do: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bossbdt-doubletree-suites-boston-cambridge/explore/

Full Reservation Link: https://www.hilton.com/en/attend-my-event/bossbdt-lbm-7e87443c-f5f9-4695-9e23-9c19de99c98d/

Whitney Bilyeu

Nov 18, 2021, 1:00:52 AM11/18/21
to lnc-business, Tara DeSisto
Thank you, Robert.

Whitney Bilyeu
LNC | Chair
LP.org

Tim Hagan

Nov 18, 2021, 3:26:44 AM11/18/21
to lnc-business
As a reminder, reports for the December meeting are due by November 27.

Public transportation option from the airport to the hotel:

From Logan Airport, take the Silver Line 1 bus to the South Station. Transfer to the Red Line subway toward Alewife. Get off at Central Station. From Central Station, walk northwest on Massachusetts Avenue to the first intersection. Turn left to go southwest down River Street for 0.8 miles. After crossing the Charles River, you'll see the DoubleTree ahead and on your left. If the weather is bad or you don't want to walk 0.8 miles, take a shared ride from Central Station to the DoubleTree.

From what I read, from Logan to Central is free, but getting on the subway at Central to get back to the airport is $2.40.

Tim Hagan
Treasurer, Libertarian National Committee

Richard Longstreth

Nov 18, 2021, 8:33:05 AM11/18/21
to lnc-business
Further reminder on reports: the weekend they are due is the weekend of Thanksgiving. It may be a good idea to submit early and before the holiday rather than possibly running late due to it. A supplement can always be submitted or a verbal update given at the meeting.

I've been bothered in the past about how many reports come in late and the stress that must add to the secretary to compile them in advance of the meeting.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Tara DeSisto

Nov 18, 2021, 2:05:14 PM11/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
There is a shuttle service that runs from Harvard Square so you don't have to walk with your luggage. Please see attached. Also attaching a subway map of the city.

Tara DeSisto
Director of Development
Libertarian National Party

It always seems impossible, until it's done.  - Nelson Mandela

--
10122021135324-0001.pdf

Valerie Sarwark

Nov 18, 2021, 2:18:06 PM11/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Not sure if it has been asked or noted, but when is the last day to purchase tickets to the holiday party? Thanks!

Tara DeSisto

Nov 18, 2021, 2:20:58 PM11/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
You will be able to purchase tickets at the door unless we are sold out. At this time we have hit 1/3 of our capacity, however invitations to donorship are hitting doors next week.

Robert Kraus

Dec 1, 2021, 9:58:01 AM12/1/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org, Tara DeSisto

Parking info form the hotel (Tara please share with LPMA folks thanks):

If the guests are staying overnight, they may park their car and then let the front desk know while they are checking in that they have a car so their ticket will give them in and out access.

If they are just driving in for the event, they may park their car first, and then get their discounted validation prior to leaving the hotel at the front desk.