On the secretary position

Ken Moellman

Nov 14, 2021, 11:49:42 PM (12 days ago) Nov 14
to lnc-business
All -

I would like us to consider leaving the position of Secretary vacant through the end of the term.

We only have 3 in-person meetings left before the convention (one of which will occur before we could replace the position anyway). We've cancelled the regular monthly meetings. I don't know that we really need to push someone into this role, and it would likely make that person an unfortunate lightning rod.

I believe Tim is doing a good job, if he's willing to continue to volunteer to take notes. Alternatively, we can take turns being secretary for a couple of meetings, or whatever. I would volunteer to do the minutes for one meeting.

We can let the delegates elect a secretary for convention.

Just something to consider, anyway.

Ken Moellman
Libertarian National Committee
Vice Chair

Laura Ebke

Nov 15, 2021, 12:18:01 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
The only questions I would have are whether there are any legal reasons from a corporate standpoint to have a separate Secretary (separate from the treasurer) and whether the absence of a Secretary could cause any problems with respect to business that needs to be conducted by the ExCom. I don’t know the answer to either of those questions, but think we should consider them before making a decision to leave the position open.

Laura Ebke

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Longstreth

Nov 15, 2021, 1:38:21 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-business
Ms Ebke has a good point as well as I want us to consider additional ExComm meetings or called meetings that may come up. The secretary also does a lot more than just take minutes.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Tim Hagan

Nov 15, 2021, 2:51:33 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-business
I believe the role and scope of the convention secretary is being underestimated. If we go the route of a separate convention secretary, the person should be selected prior to the convention so they can prepare.

Tim Hagan
Treasurer, Libertarian National Committee

Whitney Bilyeu

Nov 15, 2021, 9:37:48 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-business
6.5  ....The Secretary shall attend all meetings of the National Committee and all Party conventions and shall act as secretary thereof...

 6.8  The National Committee shall appoint new officers if vacancies occur, such officers to complete the term of the office vacated.

The LNC needs to appoint a Secretary.

Whitney Bilyeu
LNC | Chair
LP.org

Susan Hogarth

Nov 15, 2021, 9:42:52 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Let us accept nominations for a week or two, and then decide in Boston. Would that work?

Susan
--
Susan Hogarth
919-906-2106

Whitney Bilyeu

Nov 15, 2021, 9:53:45 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-business
That works for me, Susan.

I'd like to see nominations close on the 24th or 26th...leaving the holiday and/or week preceeding the meeting for review of the candidates.

Richard Longstreth

Nov 15, 2021, 10:39:30 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to lnc-business
I like the methodology proposed by Ms Hogarth and that it gives any potential candidates to show at our in person in December and pitch their candidacy as well.

Do we need to formalize this with a vote or could the chair outline exactly what is happening (including when we can expect a posting to be made on the website)?

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

John Phillips

Nov 15, 2021, 10:45:05 AM (12 days ago) Nov 15
to Lp
Suggestion.

We follow the same method we used for the Chair position.  We have the precedent. It worked.  It goes along with Susan's thought.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973