EMAIL BALLOT 20220813-01 IDHAO RESOLUTION

Secretary LNC

Aug 14, 2022, 12:38:53 AM8/14/22
to lnc-business

We have an email ballot.  Votes are due to the LNC Business List on this email thread by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on August 20, 2022.

RESOLUTION:

Whereas, The Libertarian National Committee has found no convincing evidence that the regularly scheduled annual convention of the Libertarian Party of Idaho (LPID) which took place on April 2, 2022, was invalid;

Whereas, The delegates at the April 2, 2022, LPID annual convention interpreted their own Bylaws and recognized the convention and its business as valid;

Whereas, LPID leadership elections were conducted at the April 2, 2022, LPID annual convention; and

Whereas, The LPID Judicial Committee determined that “The convention held on April 2, 2022, was a legitimate, valid, and effective Convention of the Libertarian Party of Idaho,” and that the officers and their successors, including Jayson Sorensen as the interim Chair, are the legitimate officers of the LPID;

Resolved, That the Libertarian National Committee recognizes the leadership elected at the April 2, 2022, LPID annual convention and their successors in the ordinary course of business as the legitimate representatives of the recognized Idaho affiliate, including interim Chair Jayson Sorensen.

Co-Sponsors:  Benner, Bowen, Harlos, Smith

Vote Threshold Required:  Majority

You can track the progress of votes here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NeIxdaskmLVPsnHpAtfMpa8aQpmy0c1gbn4WjYxXl6I/edit#gid=167874843

Please advise me of any discrepancies.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Aug 14, 2022, 12:39:04 AM8/14/22
to lnc-business
Yes.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Rich Bowen

Aug 14, 2022, 12:40:05 AM8/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I vote Yes.

Rich

--
Rich Bowen
Libertarian National Committee

Joshua Smith

Aug 14, 2022, 10:18:49 AM8/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes

Joshua Smith, LNC Vice Chair
Joshua...@LP.org

Pat Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 11:01:23 AM8/14/22
to lnc-business
I vote Yes! #EndTheFBI
--
Regards

Pat Ford
Libertarian National Committee
Region 8 Representative
(Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Massachusetts/Connecticut/Rhode Island/New York/New Jersey)

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP-Leonard Nimoy

Andrew Watkins

Aug 14, 2022, 11:58:41 AM8/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes
--
Andrew Watkins | Region 5 Rep.

Linnea Gabbard

Aug 14, 2022, 1:07:08 PM8/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes
--
Linnea Gabbard
Region 7 Representative

Bryan Elliott

Aug 14, 2022, 5:38:45 PM8/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes
--
Bryan C. Elliott
LNC At-Large

Mike Rufo

Aug 15, 2022, 5:50:33 AM8/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes
--
Respectfully,
Mike Rufo

Joseph Ecklund

Aug 15, 2022, 3:21:48 PM8/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes.

Joseph Clark Ecklund
Libertarian National Committee
Region 6 Representative
--

 “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”

Dustin Blankenship

Aug 15, 2022, 3:38:03 PM8/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes.

miguel...@lp.org

Aug 16, 2022, 3:40:19 AM8/16/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes.

Miguel Duque, R1 Rep

Dave Benner

Aug 16, 2022, 9:55:46 AM8/16/22
to lnc-business, Secretary LNC
I vote yes.

I view this vote as an affirmation of that which should be the default from national - that we respect the results of state affiliate conventions notwithstanding any definitive violation of that state's bylaws. After reading the materials given to the LNC, and witnessing the special meeting, nothing within that framework, or even any of the state statutes presented lead me to believe this convention was invalid. Furthermore, if one believes the convention valid I think one also has to respect the Libertarian Party of Idaho Judicial Committee's opinion on the matters involved, given that they are empowered to resolve disputes between members, and also to authorize/validate expulsions per Article VIII, Section 5 of their bylaws, However, I take no stance on the latter subject because I believe it to be outside of our purview.

Carrie Eiler

Aug 16, 2022, 1:28:08 PM8/16/22
to lnc-business, Secretary LNC
Mr. Benner has expressed important reasons for a yes vote, however Region 4 will officially ABSTAIN to avoid any hint of bias since some of the parties involved had their membership in the LPCA suspended for cause.

Dustin Nanna

Aug 16, 2022, 6:59:27 PM8/16/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Abstain. I don't see this as necessary as I believe it is the default position as eluded to. I do not want to get into a habit of doing this every time there is a convention that is contested.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Secretary LNC

Aug 16, 2022, 7:03:16 PM8/16/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
It’s necessary to clear up confusion to the average member in Idaho who has now received a second convention call for 8/27.  It’s further necessary so that the no prevailing side has national appeal rights.

Secretary LNC

Aug 16, 2022, 7:05:53 PM8/16/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
(To be clear I don’t believe the other side has merit- I do want them though to have full appeal rights - that’s what’s fair-I welcome a JC review if they can meet the burden)

Steven Nekhaila

Aug 16, 2022, 10:00:33 PM8/16/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I vote yes.

However, I want to make it clear that I believe that affiliates should avoid schisms as duly as possible and know that this is not a fun road for any side, including the LNC, to be involved in.

This is a case I view as highly avoidable and I encourage the LP Idaho to harden their bylaws and constitution so that there are no further issues in the future. We have had multiple instances of divisions due to poor bylaws and all states should look at theirs very thoroughly moving forward.

Sincerely,

Steven Nekhaila

Angela McArdle

Aug 16, 2022, 10:09:14 PM8/16/22
to lnc-business
I am voting an expressed abstention on this matter.

Angela McArdle, Chair
Libertarian National Committee

Todd Hagopian

Aug 17, 2022, 12:49:08 AM8/17/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will be abstaining

I am on record saying that the LP should either disaffiliate, or stay out of state matters, unless members are being purged or their member rights are being trampled on.  I don't believe either to be the case here.  I was barely on board sending the NM affiliate a letter, but signed on after the Parliamentarian issued his opinion.  I believe that this resolution takes LNC power one step further.

It is my understanding that we were asked to review this matter by the affiliate, and their JC, to ensure that their actions were above board.  The evidence presented clearly showed that the convention was deemed valid by the delegates (without objection), and the later actions of the committee, regarding the members who tried to seize leadership, were upheld by the JC.  As such, I do not see the need for the LNC action outlined in the resolution, as the board recognized by the LNC is the one recognized by the Idaho party, governed by its bylaws.  If the resolution/motion was aimed at securing the party's assets, I would probably feel (and vote) differently.

I am very wary of the LNC making it a habit to determine which state convention is, or is not, valid.  We have now done this twice in two months.  It is not hard to imagine a scenario where this new power, wielded by an irresponsible future LNC, may cause conventions, delegate slates, and affiliate leadership across dozens of states to be questioned (or even changed) in the runup to important national conventions.  We always need to think about how our actions today will have consequences tomorrow.

I apologize for the long-winded explanation, I typically try to keep my opinions brief and to the point.  Here, I believe every word in this motion to be true.  However, I do not believe it is the right of the LNC to pass this specific resolution, so I will be abstaining.

Todd Hagopian
LNC Treasurer
todd.h...@lp.org

Secretary LNC

Aug 17, 2022, 1:00:03 AM8/17/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org

Voting has ended for Email Ballot 20220813-01 IDAHO RESOLUTION

The Motion PASSED  with a vote count of 13-0-4-0.

Voting Aye: Benner, Blankenship, Bowen, Duque, Ecklund,  Elliott, Ford, Gabbard, Harlos, Nekhaila, Rufo, Smith, Watkins

Voting No: None

Express Abstentions:  Eiler, Hagopian, McArdle

No Vote Recorded: None

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Aug 17, 2022, 2:18:00 AM8/17/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Somehow Nanna got deleted from the abstention list but he should be included, apologies.