Addressing the issue of my complaint over the assault at the 2016 convention ruin

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 2:48:31 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I thank the LNC for finally being interested.  Past terms were not (which is not the fault of this LNC).  I personally made arrangements with the CoC to discuss security concerns.

It is not the job of the victim to hold the LNC’s hand in fact finding and addressing.

I am available and willing to discuss this formally with the LNC in any fact finding it wishes to formally do.  It is not my job to set this up.

I want to publicly address a private comment that suggested unless I do these things I need to stop blaming the LNC.  That is incredibly offensive victim blaming.  You don’t dictate to victims how they process and deal with their trauma.  Particularly with the backdrop of prior attempts to remove me from this board since I cannot help but hear  - rightly or wrongly  - a hidden threat to put me through that again.  There is an unequal power balance.

We are terrible as a Party at dealing with actual abuse in this party.

I will cooperate fully with the LNC in handling this.
--
   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Steven Nekhaila

Jul 27, 2021, 2:53:53 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
Hello Caryn Ann,

I look forward to hearing from you about the complaint and if you would like to give me a call we can go over in detail and/or discuss this matter with the full LNC.

Sincerely,

Steven Nekhaila

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 2:58:33 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I am willing to speak with the full LNC formally if they should choose to set this up.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 2:58:47 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
And I can ask my witness if they would be willing as well.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 3:04:31 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I want to add, as tactfully as possible, that I find it incredibly disturbing that some members of the LNC seem to know about every f bomb or complaint about the LNC I say on my personal youtube channel - yet I have mentioned this and addressed this multiple times but not a peep out of the same colleagues.  Our priorities are out of whack in my opinion.  I have been proverbially "yelling" about this for four years.  I made a complaint at the convention.  Staff in 2016 helped me - this was well known but utter silence from the LNC (with one exception - Mr Vohra did reach out to me personally).  Now that it is finally being openly discussed, it is the job of the LNC to investigate - not me to lead them along the way - particularly when I have said I am open and willing to cooperate.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Dustin Nanna

Jul 27, 2021, 3:06:56 PM7/27/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I don't think I've ever heard the details on this and would definitely be interested in hearing then however you wish to present them.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 3:15:51 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I am more than suggesting that if the LNC wishes to hear, it do so formally as required either by RONR or our policy manual.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Laura Ebke

Jul 27, 2021, 3:24:09 PM7/27/21
to LNC Business
Copying a comment I started before this thread went public:

I interpret this discussion differently. I don't think that anyone is trying to be blind to actual abuse. I do think that there are a number of us who weren't engaged with the party at the national level (certainly on the LNC) in 2016. Or in 2018 at the next convention or with the LNC. And many of the 2020 LNC heard about this for the first time just a few months ago, with the implication that *we* had been blind to something that we knew nothing about.

If this is primarily an issue of Convention security at future conventions, then the CoC should certainly be discussing this issue. If it primarily an issue of blame to be attributed to the current LNC for not taking action on something that happened four years ago which most of them were not even aware of until recently, then that's something else. And, perhaps this is something that requires both approaches.

Ms. Harlos, I believe that you said that you filed no police complaint on this action. Is there a record somewhere of a complaint of you bringing this to the attention of the LNC in 2016 or later? I may have missed something relatively recently if there was.

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 3:24:57 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
On my phone - no idea why the word ruin” was inserted in the title.

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 3:31:35 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I will address any questions formally.

The national party is an entity that existed before us and will exist after us.  That is the "we" I am referring to.  Not any particular person or even any particular LNC - this is a collective entity on its own and that is who and what I am referring to.  Overly personalizing and being defensive isn't helpful.  This is about the collective entity.  I obviously don't mean any one person specifically or any few - since that would include me as I am part olf the "we" and "us."  This LNC (now I am referring specifically to this LNC) is particularly bad at over-personalizing collective statements.

If the LNC wishes me to answer specific questions, set something up formally.  Its about time.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 3:33:15 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I will repeat though that every single one of my youtube audience is more than aware of this and I do find it - odd - that when multiple colleasures have inserted themselves into my personal life and channel so much know nothing about this.  Priorities.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Ken Moellman

Jul 27, 2021, 3:41:35 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business

IMO, it is a matter of voluntary exchange as to how the information is disseminated.  Ms. Harlos' experience is hers to convey, in whatever manner she wishes, to whoever wishes to receive it in that manner.  Voluntary exchange of information.

As was noted somewhere, I think it is appropriate to discuss this with the COC, perhaps in Executive Session, as it is a potential "convention safety" issue, provided the COC wishes to discuss it. It's a two-way, voluntary street. That makes sense to me.

Any other conveyance is up to Ms. Harlos and the people receiving the information. Same deal; voluntary exchange. If it is to come before the LNC, which I would support, I would hope that such a matter would be in executive session first, with the potential of being made public IF Ms. Harlos wants it to become public at that time.

Just my $0.02 on it.

Ken Moellman
Libertarian National Committee
Vice Chair

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 4:53:27 PM7/27/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Mr Moellman thank you for the very appropriate response that acknowledges my rights and does not victim blame.

Im inviting the LNC to make inquiry formally which I would fully welcome and participate in.  While this issue is pretty public I could see the topic straying into less public issues and I would support executive session with  a decision on what to make public afterwards.

Tim Hagan

Jul 27, 2021, 6:58:34 PM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I had sent you an email earlier this year inviting you to share whatever details you felt comfortable with sharing with me as I didn't know anything about the concern. I did not see a response back.

Tim Hagan
Treasurer, Libertarian National Committee

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 7:39:43 PM7/27/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes you did.  That was mentioned in the private thread.  I should have mentioned that here.  Please forgive my oversight.