Example LNC SWOT from 2001

Mark Tuniewicz

Jun 15, 2022, 12:50:47 PM6/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Folks,

Just to give us all some food for thought as we consider the Chair's request to provide input on a SWOT analysis.....here's one from 20 years ago!

During this time, the LNC named a strategic planning team to try and narrow some of the issues.  This document, summarized by former LNC member and very smart guy Mark Nelson, takes the document from basically a first pass to a more refined state.

I offer this up not as a solution for today, but rather for the benefit of the Committee.  It's interesting to see what SWOT factors were important then, which still remain today, etc.

Hoping this helps us think about where we are headed....and the enduring nature of some of the headwinds we face.  Enjoy.

With best wishes,

Mark Tuniewicz
Region 6 Alternate
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
SWOT Analysis - 010222.doc

Connor Nepomuceno

Jun 15, 2022, 12:53:43 PM6/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Thank you for sharing, Mark. Unfortunately I am getting a corrupted file message.
--
In Liberty,
Connor Nepomuceno

Mark Tuniewicz

Jun 15, 2022, 1:04:18 PM6/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Folks,

Here's a .pdf version.

With best wishes,

Mark Tuniewicz
Region 6 Alternate
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.
2001 LNC SWOT analysis Mark Nelson.pdf

Dave Benner

Jun 15, 2022, 1:05:44 PM6/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Thanks Mark, I will reference this for the purposes of our own discussions.
--
Concordia res parvae crescunt

Dave Benner
Region 2 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

Mark Tuniewicz

Jun 15, 2022, 1:29:18 PM6/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Folks,

One more document which may be helpful as you consider the SWOT.

A normal output of such an analysis is the group generation of "ideas" as to what we should be doing.  Those ideas support an overall statement of vision/direction ("We will accomplish liberty in our lifetimes by engaging in political activities that oppose the cult of the omnipotent state", for example, that I just made up.  So if that's the goal (again, just an example) which ideas for action best support it?  And which are THE most important, given our limited resources, and the context of our various strengths and weaknesses that we've identified?

Answering these questions together, as a leadership team, will give us proper focus and allow us to clearly empower (new) staff.

And I know, some will see the first item on the list and laugh...I did, too!  But when you have a few minutes, check it out and see what you really like. I'd do your SWOT first, then see if there are ideas you like that well-align with it.

With best wishes,

Mark Tuniewicz
Region 6 Alternate
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.

2001 LNC Strat plan team ideas list.pdf

Linnea Gabbard

Jun 15, 2022, 2:17:33 PM6/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Firstly, the way this is visually organized is fantastic, Mark. Our SWOT document is still in brainstorming mode…I’d love to see it migrate into something like this.

It will be easier for people to visualize projects/be on the same page/understand goals once we reach the point of being able to finalize them like this.

I do plan to throw up some stuff in the original SWOT this week.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Mark Tuniewicz <mark.tu...@lp.org> wrote:
[...]

Region 7 Representative
LNC

Angela McArdle

Jun 15, 2022, 6:30:38 PM6/15/22
to lnc-business
Please keep in mind that our planning documents are not for the public list. This is something you can share with members but it should never be viewable for the Democrats & Republicans who can easily read it here.

Angela McArdle, Chair
Libertarian National Committee

Secretary LNC

Jun 16, 2022, 4:22:48 AM6/16/22
to lnc-business
Mr. Tuniewicz may remember this, and I don't think it has been scanned yet (or still under a file name in the backlog that is just numbers) but a long while back the LNC had a "no holds barred brainstorming committee" that met for one day and just threw ideas at the wall - generated literally hundreds of ideas and nothing was shot down just to let the creative juices flow.  Of course most of the ideas were not actionable, and some were downright hilarious (for example, the LNC should start dealing drugs to make money) but some were intriquing (sponsoring a NASCAR car) and others actionable.

I would love to see this tried again.  Doesn't cost anything and this is a great way to generate ideas.  I believe Starchild was on that committee so many  moons ago, maybe he can let me know if he remembers any further details.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Jun 20, 2022, 10:52:46 AM6/20/22
to lnc-business
Just an FYI, I have saved what Mr. Tuniewicz sent for the documents I will compiling as reference materials for our Alexandria meeting.

As people are making flights, they may wish to consider staying over to Monday or flying as late as possible on Sunday in case we want to spend an in person day on this so that we have time for everything.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Dustin Nanna

Jun 20, 2022, 1:05:19 PM6/20/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I was forwarded some information about this from staff who have already done the legwork on many of these topics. Can I forward them to you for distribution as needed Madame Secretary?

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Secretary LNC

Jun 20, 2022, 1:13:41 PM6/20/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org