Opening for discussion: Twitter opening up

Secretary LNC

Nov 30, 2022, 4:43:35 PM11/30/22
to lnc-business
I was asked by a member, and I have been giving it some thought, and it is my opinion we, as the LNC, should make some statement of support for easing speech restrictions on Twitter and releasing any information that the government put pressure to suppress information that could have influenced elections (and actually cracking down on child pornography).

I know some people will not like this (not necessarily on the LNC) but I have the same position I did when I said we should have denounced the big tech collusion against Alex Jones (and I can't stand Alex Jones, that was not, and never was, the point).

Our positions on speech, government collusion, the inherent good of free speech (whether or not the first amendment in implicated) have been very shallow and badly articulated as a Party for years now.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Mike Rufo

Nov 30, 2022, 4:52:35 PM11/30/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I’d be open to this idea if the focus is on the melding of State and Corporate power via collusion and the coercive nature of the state’s “suggestions”/“requests”.

MR
--
Respectfully,
Mike Rufo

Secretary LNC

Nov 30, 2022, 4:56:20 PM11/30/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
That's only part of the focus I'm suggesting, albeit a significant part.  This is not merely about the state.  There is such thing as private oppression even if someone has the "right" to do it.

Todd Hagopian

Nov 30, 2022, 5:20:15 PM11/30/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I am with Rufo on this.  The government meddling is where I see the issue.  I would be unlikely to sign on to anything that sounds like we are telling a private company what terms and conditions they should have with their own product.  I may be open to a more general statement about encouraging free speech "practices" (since it is not constitutional free speech) on social media, and even encouraging people to speak with their dollars, but would not be in favor of calling on a specific company to manage their own product in a way that we want them to, even though they are not violating any laws.

That is where I stand on this one.

Todd Hagopian
LNC Treasurer
todd.h...@lp.org

Secretary LNC

Nov 30, 2022, 5:33:00 PM11/30/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I'm fine with generality of free speech practices.  That is my general thrust.