Call for Special Meeting - LPNM

Angela McArdle

Jul 14, 2022, 5:58:20 PM7/14/22
to lnc-business
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I have to call for a special meeting to discuss the Libertarian Party of New Mexico's recent convention.

This meeting will be discussion only to hear from members and the officers of the LPNM regarding multiple complaints about their convention.

I've recieved about 10 different complaints so far from members with various histories and backgrounds in the party. Among those complaints are:

• The convention was not properly noticed.
• Approx. 30 to 40 members were not permitted to attend the convention.
• The technical errors from the online convention (poor wifi connection by the host, inability to connect and join the meeting, attendees were not able to hear speakers) were so egregious that multiple dues paying members were not able to participate.
• Comments by the chair made during the convention alluded to the meeting being held improperly.
• Multiple members paid dues and were not allowed to attend the convention.
• The previous convention was held in violation of the bylaws, and possibly prior conventions, as well.
• The bylaws and constitution don't have seasoning requirements for special conventions.
• Disaffiliation from the national party was alluded to and there is a looming Secretary of State 30 day deadline to resolve any conflicts before this becomes a legal issue.

The purpose of this meeting is to hear from aggrieved members as well as the state affiliate so we can find out if this is something that falls within the purview of the national party's discretion.

I have not selected a date yet because we need to make sure representatives from the different groups can attend, bit this meeting will take place online before our July 30th in person meeting.

Again, this should be a discussion only/fact finding meeting. I will try to issue a date by the end of today.

— Angela McArdle

Secretary LNC

Jul 14, 2022, 6:06:31 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
There are other issues with their convention as well I believe as if what the Chair outlined wasn’t enough! I’ll prepare a parliamentary summary for the review of the LNC - Im available after 5:45pm mountain all except the Wednesday before our in person meeting.  Weekends Im flexible.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Joshua Smith

Jul 14, 2022, 6:06:42 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I'll second this.

Joshua Smith, LNC Vice Chair
Joshua...@LP.org

Dustin Nanna

Jul 14, 2022, 7:08:57 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
For me to attend it'd pretty much need to be next week sometime other than Tuesday which is EPCC or Friday (rehearsal dinner for a wedding). After that I'm unavailable essentially every day.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Secretary LNC

Jul 14, 2022, 7:24:38 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
For max availability and time so no one up to wee hours how about Sat the 23 rd?  Then if any motions desired they can be noticed in time for the second day of our meeting?  And that week can give the NM parties time to try to resolve IF a motion or motions are noticed?

Dustin Nanna

Jul 14, 2022, 8:00:23 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
That's the wedding day. I'd really like to attend but I'm sure Connor will fill in if he has to.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Joseph Ecklund

Jul 14, 2022, 8:48:25 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will make myself available for whenever this meeting happens. I am watching the convention stream and it was completely unprofessional, unaccountable and incoherent. No one except the Chair could be heard and so there is no way for those members to have confidence in the process. We have received a bunch of complaints and I want members from New Mexico who feel disenfranchised and silenced to have their voices heard.

Thanks Angela!

Joseph Clark Ecklund
Libertarian National Committee
Region 6 Representative

 “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Buckminster Fuller

Connor Nepomuceno

Jul 14, 2022, 8:49:14 PM7/14/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will do what I must.
--
In Liberty,
Connor Nepomuceno

Angela McArdle

Jul 15, 2022, 1:54:47 AM7/15/22
to lnc-business
Thank you, all. We all have opinions on what happened but let's try not to make up our minds before hearing from both sides. I'm inclined to set the meeting for the 23rd if that works for most people. We can set it in the afternoon if people would prefer to have their evenings available for personal time. I'll set it tomorrow. Let's wait a little longer to see if anyone else weighs in on the time.

Linnea Gabbard

Jul 15, 2022, 2:08:23 AM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Date and afternoon meeting work great for me.
--
Linnea Gabbard
Region 7 Representative

Secretary LNC

Jul 15, 2022, 2:33:01 AM7/15/22
to lnc-business
Mdm Chair I will set up the zoom when you decide upon the date and time.  I would also ask that you consider directing me to send to the LPNM board so that we are sure they are aware and to direct staff to send to all national members in NM.  I await your directives.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Angela McArdle

Jul 15, 2022, 2:54:49 AM7/15/22
to lnc-business
Thank you, let's definitely invite the LPNM board.

Secretary LNC

Jul 15, 2022, 2:58:42 AM7/15/22
to lnc-business
Thank you Mdm Chair, when the date is set I will prepare a transmission notifying the LPNM board of the date and time.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Bryan Elliott

Jul 15, 2022, 9:46:51 AM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
FYI the 23rd is a busy personal day for me but late afternoon ET would likely work for me

Bryan E
--
Bryan C. Elliott
LNC At-Large

Connor Nepomuceno

Jul 15, 2022, 9:49:15 AM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I can only do the evening of the 23, like after 8pm.

Miguel Duque

Jul 15, 2022, 11:49:58 AM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
The 23rd works for me. I'd be able to make another date work, if needed.

Thank you for calling this meeting. When NM was previously in Region 1, I too came across repeated complaints of impropriety, but those who felt their rights were being violated didn't feel they had much recourse beyond legal action, which is not at all how our members should have to expend their time and resources within their own affiliates.

Miguel Duque, R1 Rep

Angela McArdle

Jul 15, 2022, 2:13:58 PM7/15/22
to lnc-business
I'm going to suggest we start the meeting at 12pm pacific / 3pm eastern time if that works for most of us.

Angela McArdle, Chair
Libertarian National Committee

Secretary LNC

Jul 15, 2022, 2:18:28 PM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
It works for me Mdm Chair.

Joshua Smith

Jul 15, 2022, 4:02:51 PM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Works for me,

Cheers,

Connor Nepomuceno

Jul 15, 2022, 9:16:51 PM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
May I ask that we have a copy of the NM call to convention and the agenda to review before the meeting?

Secretary LNC

Jul 15, 2022, 9:27:47 PM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I’m going to providing my written opinion to the LNC on the parliamentary deficiencies prior to the meeting which will include all information available.

Note: my parliamentary opinion on deficiencies is separate and apart of what we can or should do.  I remain open minded on the latter.  The former is objective fact in my opinion.  What we do about the objective fact us an entirely different matter.

Secretary LNC

Jul 15, 2022, 9:28:47 PM7/15/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I would suggest that my opinion be reviewed by the Party parliamentarian ad well.  I’ll have my opinion to the LNC hopefully this weekend.

Angela McArdle

Jul 16, 2022, 12:29:07 AM7/16/22
to lnc-business
Yes, Connor. I will share every complaint and every document I've received on the matter.

Angela McArdle, Chair
Libertarian National Committee

Secretary LNC

Jul 18, 2022, 12:13:34 AM7/18/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Party Parliamentarian Richard Brown just sent a very helpful summary of some research he has done to both me and the Chair.  I will be attaching the information he provided in full in my own summary which I hope to have to the LNC by tomorrow.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Jul 19, 2022, 12:25:35 AM7/19/22
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I have created a One Note notebook for this Saturday's meeting here:

https://tinyurl.com/July23LNCMeeting

Also as promised, attached is my summary of the parliamentary issues with the alleged convention.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

LPNM Memo.pdf
Message has been deleted