Motion to Suspend Caryn Ann Harlos as LNC Secretary

Richard Longstreth

Jun 18, 2021, 3:56:56 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
Colleagues,

It is with a heavy heart that I believe we have reached a point of no return regarding the Secretary of the Libertarian National Committee. While many of us have had moments of passion and a lack of decorum in the last week, the Secretary stands out as one of the more divisive and vitriolic figures. When you combine this with several other charges which I will briefly outline below, I believe it is now an essential time for action lest the future of this entire Party be in jeopardy. Therefore I move the following:

===
The Libertarian National Committee hereby suspends Caryn Ann Harlos from her role of Secretary on the LNC for a pattern of repeated unprofessional behavior and conduct unbecoming of a national officer and removes her from all LNC committee appointments per Article 7.5 of the Libertarian Party’s Bylaws.
===

I will further explain some of my thoughts in a follow-up email so as not to muddy the original motion. Please consider sponsorship.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Richard Longstreth

Jun 18, 2021, 3:57:05 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business

I have known Ms. Harlos since 2014 when we both entered the Libertarian Party of Colorado’s Board together. We, along with the amazing people of Colorado, greatly expanded the party there. I have real history with Ms Harlos, both as a friend and a colleague. It was she who encouraged me not just to join state leadership in Colorado but also encouraged me to bring my voice to the LNC.

I ran to be the Region 1 Representative following her tenure and ran for At Large after my unsuccessful run for Vice Chair all in the name of helping to professionalize and legitimize this party on a large scale. To level us up, if you will. While I stand firm in my original reasons for running for national office and believe I have had specific and direct successes, I am now of the opinion that she no longer walks the same path. In recent weeks, I firmly believe that Ms Harlos has stopped representing and advocating for this Party in a way becoming of an officer.

She has engaged in hurtful and vulgar attacks on her fellow committee members, and encouraged the same from others, in a campaign of bullying and defamation calculated to intimidate and harass. This has occurred not just on her personal platforms but also during LNC conference calls, the business list, and other party resources.

Ms Harlos has refused to act within the decorum required of members on the national committee during meetings and on the email list despite a very recent vote in favor establishing guidelines for electronic communications. I would add that she voluntarily, along with all of us, unanimously passed these standards of communication in an effort to maintain decorum amongst ourselves as we negotiate the needs of the party via electronic means. When questioned about her behavior, she has even indicated that receiving a censure from this committee for her acknowledged bad behavior would be worn as a badge of honor despite our agreed to standards.

She has repeatedly and inappropriately attempted to interfere in the business of state affiliates. I have remained in contact with several state chairs and with members all over the country. I have received word that she has pushed for states, outside of her own, to pass resolutions and incite negativity to effect change on the LNC. As officer of this party in the role of Secretary, she has a responsibility to represent the thoughts and opinions of the Party as a whole and to maintain an air of neutrality on state concerns. She should not be encouraging or creating a movement within the states without LNC input as we are the governing body of the National Party, not state parties. As an individual, I do not like her actions but it is her right as an individual to behave as she believes appropriate. As an officer, however, that is quite another concern.

She has adopted a style of sexually charged insults and baseless defamation against both fellow committee members and members of the public which risks serious legal liability for the party.

She has attempted to entangle the national committee in baseless litigation premised on falsehoods and personal vendettas.

She has attempted to improperly monetize her position, including the repeated improper appropriation of party assets for that purpose, and refused to recuse herself or disclose in cases of relevant conflicts of interest.

She has engaged in a pattern of toxic, bullying, and destructive behavior incompatible with the good order and functioning of the national committee and detrimental to the purposes and best interests of the Libertarian Party.

I understand that I will not be popular for this opinion. On June 14, I expressed concerns regarding decorum and harassment and said then “Her behavior is wildly unacceptable as a professional leader…if this body is compliant, please formalize it so I know my place.” This motion will help me determine how this body truly feels about the behavior we have all observed. Our Party members deserve to know whether we support or condemn this sort of behavior as professional leaders of the third largest party in the United States and only “minority party” to be on the ballot in all 50 states repeatedly and consistently.

I have since received several specific and direct calls and personal requests from members to bring her up for suspension and have observed several more requests by reading across multiple social platforms. If we do not remove her from role, she will continue her behavior. If we simply censure, she will be empowered and has indicated it would be a badge of honor. I ask each of you to personally reflect and consider if our Party deserves this type of leader. I believe Ms Harlos is free to act as an individual and continue her behavior, which I find deplorable. I do not believe the behavior is appropriate for the Secretary of the National Libertarian Party.

I am seeking cosponsors for this motion.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Francis Wendt

Jun 18, 2021, 3:59:03 PM6/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will co-sponsor.

Francis Wendt
LNC Region 1 Representative

Jun 18, 2021, 3:59:36 PM6/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
You have misrepresented my badge of honour statements and many items.  I’ll save responses for any hearing at a meeting which may occur.
--
   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Tim Hagan

Jun 18, 2021, 3:59:43 PM6/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I regret that it has come down to this. I will co-sponsor the motion.

Tim Hagan
Treasurer
Libertarian National Committee
--
Tim Hagan
Treasurer, Libertarian National Committee

Valerie Sarwark

Jun 18, 2021, 4:02:18 PM6/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will co-sponsor.

Valerie A. Sarwark
LNC At-Large Representative
Affiliate Support Committee Chair
Donate to the Affiliate Support Fund today!

Laura Ebke

Jun 18, 2021, 4:03:04 PM6/18/21
to LNC Business
I am sad that it's come to this, but I believe that it's necessary. I co-sponsor.

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

David Valente

Jun 18, 2021, 4:04:05 PM6/18/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
While an alternate and cannot, I support bringing this motion.

v/r
David Valente
Region 5 Alternate

Joe Bishop-Henchman

Jun 18, 2021, 4:08:55 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
I co-sponsor. JBH

Richard Longstreth

Jun 18, 2021, 4:12:26 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
As we have reached the requires number of sponsors, I request the ballot be started as soon as possible.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Joe Bishop-Henchman

Jun 18, 2021, 4:18:16 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
I vote yes. JBH

Richard Longstreth

Jun 18, 2021, 4:19:38 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
Mr Chair,

As is our custom, I believe the ballot must be an independent thread. You or the Secretary are authorized to start that ballot I believe.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 18, 2021, 4:45:21 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
Suspensions must be heard at a meeting.  If I wished to be sneaky, I would not say a thing and automatically win a JC appeal.  But I always lay my cards on the table.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Richard Longstreth

Jun 18, 2021, 4:48:43 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
I encourage all members to review the relevant bylaw which I have cited in the motion as this is not a usual matter of business and we all have a responsibility to know the proper process.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Richard Longstreth

Jun 18, 2021, 5:21:43 PM6/18/21
to lnc-business
I will voluntarily point out that I had a Scrivener's Error moment. At large and Officers follow the same policy, however for officers the relevant citation is 6.7 not 7.5.

For posterity, if any sponsor intends to withdraw based on that, I understand.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative