Alternative Voting Committee

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 27, 2021, 6:35:40 AM7/27/21
to lnc-business
I had resigned from this committee due to being over the limit allowed for LNC members.  As the committee requires one LNC member they cannot do anything until we fill this seat.

I nominate Dustin Nanna to fill the vacancy.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Susan Hogarth

Jul 30, 2021, 3:37:43 AM7/30/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Question(s) for the Chair,

Can this seat be filled by appointment by the Chair, or does it require LNC action? Why would a committee be unable to function without a member?

- Susan Hogarth
Region 5 Representative
--
Susan Hogarth
919-906-2106

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jul 30, 2021, 3:48:05 AM7/30/21
to lnc-business
Information for the Chair.  The enabling motion requires an LNC member.  The committee needs to elect a chair as its first order of business.  It cannot do its first order of business without a required member.  The enabling motion says members selected by the LNC not the LNC chair.  I can get the chair the original motion wording upon request.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 3, 2021, 2:00:45 PM8/3/21
to lnc-business
Can we vote on this by email?  Are there other nominations?

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Chris Luchini

Aug 3, 2021, 2:24:08 PM8/3/21
to lnc-business
I would prefer to vote on this at the end person meeting.

Dustin Nanna

Aug 3, 2021, 5:15:26 PM8/3/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Has this Committee even met yet? I would accept the nomination now or at the meeting but I'd need to know their schedule to know if I could participate.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 3, 2021, 6:11:24 PM8/3/21
to lnc-business
No they have not met since an LNC member is required and they haven't elected a chair yet.  We are holding this up which is why I do not want to wait.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Susan Hogarth

Aug 3, 2021, 8:10:19 PM8/3/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will wait for the Chair’s direction here.

Whitney Bilyeu

Aug 3, 2021, 11:53:35 PM8/3/21
to lnc-business
Please provide language from the motion that created this committee and the policy on its composition.

Thank you.

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 4, 2021, 12:35:53 AM8/4/21
to lnc-business
Ballot 20210103-03 That a Voting Reform Committee be created with the following characteristics: • This committee would be tasked to track and document voting reform efforts throughout the nation, such as RCV, Approval Voting, and proportional representation; collaborate with state affiliates on voting reform activities and organizations in their state; and act as the liaison between voting reform organizations and the national Libertarian Party. • This committee shall comprise five (5) members of which at least one (1) shall be an LNC member. The members shall be chosen by the LNC after soliciting applications. • This committee shall be ad hoc as a trial phase with its usefulness and effectiveness to be evaluated by the 2022-2024 LNC. Moved by: Harlos, amended by Bishop-Henchman

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Whitney Bilyeu

Aug 4, 2021, 10:33:01 AM8/4/21
to lnc-business
It looks like the LNC needs to appoint an LNC member to this committee. I believe I could then name the interim chair, so they can meet and elect their permanent chair.

So far, we have one nomination - Dustin Nanna.

I don't see why it cannot be done by email, if that is what you all wish to do.

Whitney Bilyeu

LP | Chair

LP.org

Laura Ebke

Aug 4, 2021, 2:08:23 PM8/4/21
to LNC Business
Madame Chair,

If there is nothing urgent about filling the spot on this newly created committee, why not wait until we meet in person? I'd request that it be added to the September agenda, along with any other openings that need to be filled by the LNC after the shuffling in the last few months.

Laura

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 4, 2021, 2:10:21 PM8/4/21
to lnc-business
It has been waiting since January.  The members want to meet and start.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Erin Adams

Aug 4, 2021, 2:45:49 PM8/4/21
to lnc-business
Please help me remember, when was this vacancy created?

Erin Adams region 7 Representative

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 4, 2021, 2:51:45 PM8/4/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
The vacancy was in June when it was pointed out I belonged to too many committees

Susan Hogarth

Aug 4, 2021, 3:41:51 PM8/4/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
What was the committee doing between January and June?

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 4, 2021, 3:55:43 PM8/4/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
It wasn’t appointed until June.  You had to miss that meeting.

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 4, 2021, 3:58:50 PM8/4/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
See the draft June minutes.  I wanted to appoint by email - we have an institutional habit of slowness like all institutions and I don’t want to delay further.  It frustrates those on this committees who aren’t on the LNC.

Susan Hogarth

Aug 4, 2021, 7:40:54 PM8/4/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
So the committee that was appointed in June was waiting ‘since January’?

This is kinda confusing. Why don’t those folks just start meeting and doing stuff if they’re so hot? When an LNC member is appointed they will be ahead of the game.

- Susan

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 4, 2021, 7:56:30 PM8/4/21
to lnc-business
The abstract "committee" has been in waiting since January - all of the applicants were waiting for us to make appointments. So yes they were.  They cannot wait because of the wording of the motion which requires an LNC member.

This is a committee I moved for.  I am the "hot" one.  I feel like I am being forced on the defensive here, and I don't understand why.  I think my request is reasonable.  We have had ONE nomination.  Why cannot we just appoint him and get it done?  And if we get another, I can put together an opavote and we can get it done.  Why wait?

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Erin Adams

Aug 4, 2021, 8:06:55 PM8/4/21
to lnc-business
I would like to nominate both Jared Hall and Laura Ebke to fill this position

Erin Adams region 7 Representative

Erin Adams

Aug 4, 2021, 8:09:56 PM8/4/21
to lnc-business
I may have one more nomination as well I just need time to get consent from this individual

Erin Adams region 7 Representative

Erin Adams

Aug 4, 2021, 8:25:44 PM8/4/21
to lnc-business
I would also like to nominate John Wilford to fill this position

Erin Adams region 7 Representative

Susan Hogarth

Aug 4, 2021, 9:48:23 PM8/4/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
No one is forcing you to be on the defensive. I’m not responsible for your feelings. I was just confused about the January/June thing.

Susan, R5