Fwd: Letter to the LNC

Valerie Sarwark

Jun 14, 2021, 10:01:51 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Colleagues,

Dr. Varner has requested that I forward this email and attachments to the LNC list.

In Liberty,
Valerie

Valerie A. Sarwark
LNC At-Large Representative
Affiliate Support Committee Chair
Donate to the Affiliate Support Fund today!

Jun 14, 2021, 10:27:49 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
This is slanderous to a whole group of members.  I supported most of the posts and I ABSOLUTELY CONDEMN BIGOTRY.  I object to slander being posted to this public list.  Yes we in a battle.  A battle against new members and an attempted purge of them.  It is gross.
   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 10:30:28 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
And what Colorado comes up with has not been passed but it is strong messaging.  Not bigoted messaging.  I expect an apology but I doubt I will get it.  I am in an LPCO board meeting right now - I will pass along the message.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Joshua Smith

Jun 14, 2021, 11:03:03 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
This is a disgusting attempt to use the weight of a big donor, and absolute slander against a very very large swath of this party who has helped get candidates elected and has grown this party by big numbers at every level.

Unsurprising given the person who shared it here, but still disappointing nonetheless.

-Joshua

Valerie Sarwark

Jun 14, 2021, 11:10:37 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Pardon your assertions, Mr. Smith.

Dr. Varner asked me to share this letter, and as a representative at-large, as requested, I shared this letter to the business list.

Your failed attempt at a personal insult is not only noted, but completely unnecessary and against the motion of decorum which you agreed to last weekend.

In liberty,

Valerie A. Sarwark
LNC At-Large Representative
Affiliate Support Committee Chair
Donate to the Affiliate Support Fund today!

Laura Ebke

Jun 14, 2021, 11:11:54 PM6/14/21
to LNC Business
If Dr. Varner had asked me to forward a letter to the business list, I would have. If Michael Heise asked me to forward one to the list, I would. Whether I agree or not, as LNC members we owe an obligation to members. Readers can decide for themselves how to interpret.

Laura Ebke

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

Jared Hall

Jun 14, 2021, 11:12:39 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Who shares to the public list when asked by a constituent is irrelevant.
--

Jared Hall
Region 3 Alternate

“For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization.”
-Robert A. Heinlein

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:13:54 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
I don't care who asked.  We don't slander entire groups of people who aren't here to defend themselves.  If someone asks us to post a racist screed would we?  NO.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:14:48 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
We signed up for this.  I get slanders on me all the time.  It is part of the job.  A wide swath of members should not be slandered in this manner.  I am so disgusted I could spit.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Valerie Sarwark

Dustin Nanna

Jun 14, 2021, 11:21:59 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I think to be fair we kinda have a responsibility to forward letters when asked when names are attached regardless.

Anonymous is different.

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:27:48 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
No we do not.  If I got an anti-black screed I would not post it.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:43:55 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
I read pertinent parts of this letter to the LPCO.  Suffice it to say they were ill-pleased that the Party facilitated slander of our board and our delegates that elected us with a mandate to change our messaging.  Shame on us.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Laura Ebke

Jun 14, 2021, 11:44:03 PM6/14/21
to LNC Business
Nor would any of us, I don't imagine. But this was not that.

Whether you agree with Dr. Varner's characterizations or not, I'm not sure any of us could argue that there is not a debate over ideas taking place in the Libertarian Party today.

I don't speak to Dr. Varner, and he mentioned no one specific (aside from semi-historical public figures for context), but it seems to me that his position was in opposition to the ideas of one element that is vying for leadership positions in the party. That's not slander (well, technically, since this was written, it's not libel). His words have provided no harm to any specific person.

All the best,
Laura

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:47:38 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
Oh he didn't?  What is this:

It is no surprise that the Mises PAC has legions of young men expressing racial resentment.

That is not the only mention - he mentioned an entire affiliate (two of them) - and no this is not a legitimate debate. It is a manufactured slanderous boogeyman. The whole thing is a slander.
   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Valerie Sarwark

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:50:06 PM6/14/21
to lnc-business
Everything that ties it to people in the party now.  I cannot believe I have to even explain this.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Joshua Smith

Jun 14, 2021, 11:52:39 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
There was no assertion there Mrs. Sarwark. I have watched you for more than a year in "private" group slander my family and I. I am genuinely not at all suprised to see you share a letter from Dr. Varner slandering others.

Cheers,
Joshua

Laura Ebke

Jun 14, 2021, 11:56:09 PM6/14/21
to LNC Business
It may be offensive to a group of people who take it as such. But the case law that I've read suggests that neither libel nor slander is typically actionable when statements are directed at groups (unless the groups consist of less than 25 people). Defamation lawsuits are typically, it appears, individually based. See this article written in January of this year. https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/who-can-sue-defamation

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

Valerie Sarwark

Jun 14, 2021, 11:59:42 PM6/14/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Mr. Smith,

Is there a specific statement in Dr. Varner's letter that you believe is false and defamatory?

Your attempts at personal attacks are noted and again, I remind you of the decorum motion you agreed to last weekend at the LNC meeting in Chicago.

Best,
Valerie

Valerie A. Sarwark
LNC At-Large Representative
Affiliate Support Committee Chair
Donate to the Affiliate Support Fund today!

Joshua Smith

Jun 15, 2021, 12:04:22 AM6/15/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Yes, lots of them actually. Especially the one that says that tons and tons of people I know around the country who have worked on LP campaigns, fundraisers, etc are "legions of young men expressing racial resentment"

That one is probably the biggest.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Smith

Jun 15, 2021, 12:06:11 AM6/15/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Also, it's quite funny to hear you finger wag about "personal attacks". Having a good laugh at that one tonight. Thanks.

-Joshua

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 15, 2021, 12:34:46 AM6/15/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I’m not using a technical legal definition. I wish I were surprised that a rabbit trail is then rather than the issue at hand.