Agenda Request for Sept. 4 LNC Meeting

Laura Ebke

Aug 27, 2021, 6:09:17 PM8/27/21
to LNC Business
Madame Chair,

It is with a certain reluctance that I find myself requesting one hour of agenda time for our meeting next week.

The purpose of the agenda item is to consider the following motion (to be perfected at the meeting):

"That Caryn Ann Harlos is hereby suspended as the Secretary of the Libertarian National Committee."

A Bill of Particulars can be found here

Please note that within the document, there are links to four appendices files (A, B, B-Videos, and C) that provide documentation in support of the motion. I encourage LNC members and those who question this action to review the documentation carefully.

The move to suspend a duly elected officer or board member should never be taken lightly, great consideration has been given to the wisdom of this course of action, and it should not be considered precedential for future boards who may find themselves in simple disagreement with one another. The ability to talk through issues maturely is critical to effective functioning on boards.

We believe, however, that heading into the 2022 election cycle, and our convention, that it is critical that the LNC regain its ability to function effectively as an organization that can discuss and debate issues openly. It is possible for boards to effectively ignore a single non-officer member who becomes detrimental to the functioning of the board; it is far more difficult to ignore an officer of the board.

Madame Chair, my recommendation is that time allocated to the discussion of this agenda item be split, 30 minutes each, for each side of the question. It is my intention, however, NOT to have a formal presentation on this issue, but rather to let the documentation stand for itself. I (we) will be happy to entertain questions from the LNC, but if there are none (or few), we will yield our time and allow Ms. Harlos to respond as she sees fit prior to a vote.

I do not intend to (and will not) make any further public comments on this topic prior to our meeting on Saturday the 4th, either on the public list or on social media.

Laura Ebke

Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large
Former NE State Senator
laura...@lp.org
Cell: 402-540-6510

Ken Moellman

Aug 27, 2021, 6:39:24 PM8/27/21
to lnc-business
I would like to know if it would be in order to amend this down to censure, or if a separate agenda item would be required.  If a separate item is required, then please consider this is the request for such time.

Ken Moellman
Libertarian National Committee
Vice Chair

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 27, 2021, 6:40:43 PM8/27/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I will be raising a point of order based on the prior ruling of Mr Moellman.

Expect that shortly.
--
   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 27, 2021, 6:46:19 PM8/27/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Mr Moellman this motion is amendable if it survives a point of order.

I will, it if survives a point of order, be amending.

Further, this public document is against RONR and slanderous and I would suggest Ms Ebke read that section.

I find it appalling that someone being open about mental health issues then subjects them to removal and find that such action is completely against our policies and abusive.

Shame on you Ms Ebke for your slanderous misrepresentations, stifling of free speech, and penalization of open discussion of mental health.

Joshua Smith

Aug 27, 2021, 7:33:06 PM8/27/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Are we seriously doing this again?

Knock it off.

Thanks,
Joshua

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 27, 2021, 8:12:32 PM8/27/21
to lnc-business
I am seriously considering a motion of censure against Ms. Ebke.  I have read through the particulars and it is overreach, abusive, and slanderous and against our policy manual.  I am hesitant only because I do not think the members are fans of these disciplinary maneuvers against each other and prefer it to be settled in Reno.  I want to make it clear however, that Ms. Ebke has crossed a serious ethical line here.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 28, 2021, 1:31:13 AM8/28/21
to lnc-business
As promised here are the Points of Order.  I wanted to get them quickly as the Chair needs to make an agenda soon.

Point of Order 1.  The proposed motion is out of order on the ground that it purports to include evidence.  Such evidence and claims may be presented privately to the LNC, and in notice to the accused.  RONR at 62:2 to consider requires this to be discussed in executive session.

Point of Order 2.  The ruling of the chair of June 22, 2021, based on earlier precedent, requires five days’ notice per charge is required.  This motion includes at least four claimed offenses.1   Therefore, 20 days’ notice is required.

1 These are claimed to be:

Violation of Section 5.01 Subsection I (Social Media Policy Page 68)

Violation of Section 2.01 Subsection 2 (Conflict of Interest Page 23)

Violation of Section 2.01 Subsection 5 (Harassment and Offensive Behavior Prohibition Page 25)

A general charge that the secretary demonstrates “unfitness for office.”

I will note that I cannot possibly prepare an adequate defense in this short of time.  The original motion to suspend was back in June and I find it uncredible that it was just decided to keep pursuing so it seems like it is possible that a last-minute ambush was conducted.  If I am forced to provide a defense in such a short time, I am going to have not start the new job I have on Monday which will seriously hurt me financially.  Just giving facts here.  These continued attempts to frankly ruin all my work of multiple years have already had a lot of negative impact, I would ask that ruining me financially right now not be added to that last.  That would be great.  I know that is nothing to do with points of order but has to do with basic fairness and justice.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Aug 28, 2021, 1:08:27 PM8/28/21
to lnc-business
I have something to say to the regionals for their consideration.  I used to be a regional.  I have been in this situation.  And my position was - and yes I do think it should be your position - that the vote of chairs required for me to act should be the same as the vote required of the LNC.  In this case, 2/3 of all the regional chairs.  I ask you to consider that.  This is not a majority vote issue.  I did the same thing with public policy resolutions of the LNC which also requires a 2/3 vote.  It is unjust to support removal on a majority of anything.  Just asking you to consider that.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Whitney Bilyeu

Aug 29, 2021, 9:58:50 PM8/29/21
to lnc-business
1) Article 6.7 of the Bylaws provides the LNC with a mechanism for suspension of an officer.
2) There is no notice requirement per the Bylaws.

It is my opinion that our bylaws remove us from the RONR umbrella on the matter of suspension. Though our bylaws don't specify requirements for notice, discovery, time to prepare defense, whether or not the matter must be taken up in-person, or whether or not it must happen during executive session, I believe the motion to be in order, and have placed it on the agenda.

This motion has been noticed for an in-person meeting within the deadline for such. It does not meet the criteria to be heard in executive session. The bylaws allow for defense to be presented to the Judicial Committee within 7 days if suspension occurs, and allows for a minimum of 20 days for the suspended officer to prepare for a hearing.

Whitney Bilyeu

LP | Chair

LP.org