New Hampshire

Joe Bishop-Henchman

Jun 12, 2021, 5:20:21 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
I've just got off the phone with Ms. Jarvis and am returning other calls. She related that the EC started member expulsions in violation of their Bylaws last week, first with someone no one would object to in order to set the precedent and then to proceed with a wide swath of the membership with a goal of making the party a tool of the state Republicans. She says she has evidence to this effect. Her position is that the EC members who so acted illegally have constructively resigned, and as the only remaining EC member who did not participate in the expulsion, it now falls to her to fill vacancies.

I agree that our sin in Oregon was to think that we at the LNC could just pick a side and thereby end the dispute, rather than the Libertarians in the state itself having to work it out. I welcome your thoughts, off list if you prefer, on any action you think might be appropriate.

I've heard rumors of lots of things for months but my general attitude is to not believe things until they happen as it's usually people blowing off steam. I know there are people who sensed this split coming and have attempted quiet mediation but that has evidently not succeeded.

I will be posting this on the public list.

JBH

John Phillips

Jun 12, 2021, 5:25:51 PM6/12/21
to Lp
My opinion is we recognize no affiliate until they hold a new OPEN convention and elections and bylaws.  Even if Mrs Jarvis was justified that does not give the power to declare new bylaws.

Or to do the very thing she is claiming the other side did. 2 wrongs don't make a right.  Saddens me how much I have had to say that this year.

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

Steven Nekhaila

Jun 12, 2021, 5:29:43 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Dear All,

This issue ought to have been brought up to the LNC and not at the unilateral discretion of the Chair. What evidence is available, from reading the LPNH text, that the EC of the LPNH are Republican operatives. Not being happy with messaging is not grounds for expelling an EC, and what grounds that there were Republican operatives in both Rules and Bylaws?

This situation raises many questions that must be addressed and investigated, appropriate actions will be taken pending the findings of an investigation.

This is an extremely disturbing development and I want answers.

Sincerely,

Steven Nekhaila
Region 2 Representative

Jun 12, 2021, 5:30:26 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I agree with Mr. Nekhaila

Dustin Nanna

Region 3 Representative, Libertarian National Committee

740-816-9805

Joshua Smith

Jun 12, 2021, 5:47:44 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
The membership of Jackie Perry was in line with their bylaws (and RONR). I went over it myself, and I would suggest the rest of the LNC do the same. I would however note that the current bylaws on the LPNH website are the imaginary ones that Mrs. Jarvis made up and posted without any vote of the EC in NH, or authority to do so. Furthermore, she has no authority to do what she is doing now. The current excom of NH was duly elected at their last convention as stated in their official bylaws. I would be very careful about this "making the party the tool of the Republicans" as that is quite possibly an opinion hit job. I know many in NH, and that certainly is not the goal. From any of them.

None of the excom has resigned, and Mrs. Jarvis has overstepped her organizational authority to tear an affiliate apart. With the help of your letter, which many members now see as you doing the same. Ny suggestion is to make a statement saying that you do not support a unilateral takeover of a duly elected excom that is an obvious organizational overstep, and then guiding members on their rights.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Smith

Jun 12, 2021, 5:52:16 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
The membership revocation of Jackie Perry* I meant to say.

Erik Raudsep

Jun 12, 2021, 5:53:01 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
I feel like there are pieces to this that are missing. But there is no doubt going over the old bylaws past this march in New Hampshire that this initially appears to be a gross overstep of authority. I am reserving to press judgment at this time. But I do have my knee jerk reaction that this is a huge violation of by laws and constitution. I feel like a lot of additional research needs to be done. I am also truly saddened, to see that this is occurring at this time or even ever. Nonetheless, this will be a difficult experience for New Hampshire to grow past as an organization for several years to come.

Joshua Smith

Jun 12, 2021, 5:54:42 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Mr. Phillips,

Your suggestion would mean we dissafiliated the current affiliate, and that is a big step that requires 3/4 of this LNC. I don't believe we would have the votes to accomplish that, thankfully, as I would hate to lose the confidence of our constituents.

-Joshua

Rich Bowen

Jun 12, 2021, 5:55:22 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
I also noted that the bylaws on NH website were updated using today's date.

Does anyone have a copy of the previous bylaws as we should review them to further investigate.

Rich

John Phillips

Jun 12, 2021, 6:04:18 PM6/12/21
to Lp
That is a point Mr Smith.

My counter would be that we disaffiliated no one.  Their self destruction caused the need for the formation of a new affiliate.

However, I am not married to that position.  I could easily argue for the recognition of whichever comes closest to meeting their original bylaws and/or holds a majority of their elected EC.

My position is based solely on "screw this crap, act like adults or F off".

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 12, 2021, 6:06:45 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
This is absolute garbage andyou have completely overstepped your bounds.  I expect a meeting will be called forwith.
   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Erik Raudsep

Jun 12, 2021, 6:07:49 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
LPNH-Bylaws.pdf
lpnh-constitution.pdf

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 12, 2021, 6:08:24 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
No there is an affiliate and it is the affiliate recognized at convention.  Period.  Let's call an LNC meeting and be done with this.

And while we are at it, can the strong chair model go the way of the dinosaurs?  Didn't we learn last term?

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 12, 2021, 6:09:09 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
And here is a fact at least so far as I see.  You knew about this while we are all in person and said nothing.  Inexcusable.

   In Liberty,

LNC Secretary | secr...@lp.org | 561.523.2250

Rich Bowen

Jun 12, 2021, 6:21:47 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
Thank you Eric.

Joshua Smith

Jun 12, 2021, 6:37:15 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Also,

Mr. Bishop-Henchman, I would like to see the "evidence and emails" you have received. That information needs to be made available to the whole LNC while we figure our how to handle this stuff. Also, publicly for the many many members who are watching us closely.

Thank you,
Joshua

Joshua Smith

Jun 12, 2021, 6:51:53 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
One more thing to note as well.

Mr. Chair, you referenced Mrs. Perry's membership being removed, but your letter is dated June 7th and her membership was not revoked till the 8th.

How can you use that as a reason for the letter?

Thanks,
Joshua

Erin Adams

Jun 12, 2021, 7:03:17 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
This absolutely was an overstep. If there was an issue that needed National involvement that issue should have been brought to this entire board.

Erin Adams Region 7 Alternate

Laura Ebke

Jun 12, 2021, 7:07:12 PM6/12/21
to LNC Business
I would suggest--since the LNC may be called upon to act as something of a judge and jury in this--that we all be very careful so as not to prejudice our later decision-making. I do not plan on discussing this publicly on social media or elsewhere, and will wait until we can hear from both sides.

Laura
--
Laura Ebke, PhD
LNC At-Large

Richard Longstreth

Jun 12, 2021, 7:07:20 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
I will keep my thoughts here brief as emotions are high and I need further time to reflect.

I am in agreement with Mr Phillips. If we interfere, in anyway, we risk damaging our relationships with state affiliates on very real way. The status quo is that states largely take care of themselves and come together to guide the national message in the form of the LNC and HQ. We cannot use a top down approach. If the affiliate self destructs, I would happily welcome the newly formed affiliate when it resolves it's itself.

Like Me Phillips, I am also not married to the idea. This is just one scenario. I will continue to think and reflect. I do urge that all LNC members avoid taking ANY side and avoid being perceived as taking one.

Richard Longstreth
At Large Representative
Libertarian National Committee
richard.l...@lp.org
931.538.9300

Sent from my Mobile Device

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 12, 2021, 7:09:44 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I am on no side and I read Heise the riot act here in Florida.

I don’t appreciate the insinuations nor the inevitable gaslighting that is coming.

And near silence about the clear wrongdoing of the chair.

Interesting.

Jared Hall

Jun 12, 2021, 7:11:03 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Colleagues,

This is my understanding of events:

Mr Bishop-Henchman signed a letter attesting to the fact the Ms Jarvis is the state chair of a recognized affiliate;

Ms Jarvis then proceeded with today’s current events.

We are attributing motive to actions our Chair has done, where I think it’s appropriate for him to have do so. I would assume that any state chair could ask for such a letter. What they do with that letter after receiving it doesn’t attribute motive to the Chair signing it. However, now that today’s events have happened using said letter as evidence of our support, it is only appropriate for us a body as a while to investigate the matter together.

Thank you for your time.
--

Jared Hall
Region 3 Alternate

“For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization.”
-Robert A. Heinlein

Ken Moellman

Jun 12, 2021, 7:15:13 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
Reserving my opinions on the matter until such time as I have more information, I will chime in to note that I was supposed to be doing in-person training with LPF tonight on the CRM, and instead I'm dealing with this. I've received a flurry of calls from members and state chairs, all very concerned about this action. This has been, and will likely continue to be, extremely disruptive to not just NH but to other affiliates.

Ken Moellman
Libertarian National Committee
Vice Chair

Tim Hagan

Jun 12, 2021, 8:11:19 PM6/12/21
to lnc-business
I'm afraid that some may be jumping to conclusions and putting accusations on the Chair before gathering all of the facts. The letter he wrote on June 7 includes wording from the requirements that must be met for the Federal Elections Commission to qualify a committee as a state party committee. Similar letters have been written for other state affiliates in past years, and signed by the national Chair, Secretary, Executive Director, or Operations Director.

From the FEC Campaign Guide for Political Parties:

  • First, the committee must have at least one candidate for Federal office whose name appears on the ballot as a candidate of the committee;
  • Second, the committee must possess an official party structure;
  • Third, the relationship between the political party and the committee must be based on an agreement that requires the committee to perform activities commensurate with the day-to-day operation of the party on a state level (such as raising contributions; assisting candidates’ fundraising efforts; conducting voter registration drives; holding state conventions; and nominating candidates for state and federal office). See AOs 2008-13, 2008-12 and 2007-23.

The regulation (100.14(a)) is worded:

  a. State committee means the organization that by virtue of the bylaws of a political party or the operation of State law is part of the official party structure and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the political party at the State level, including an entity that is directly or indirectly established, financed, maintained, or controlled by that organization, as determined by the Commission.

Tim Hagan
Treasurer, Libertarian National Committee

Laura Ebke

Jun 12, 2021, 8:12:21 PM6/12/21
to LNC Business
Madame Secretary,

You are making the assumption that those of us who have a life outside of the LNC know anything about the "clear wrongdoing of the chair." You have asserted that it's clear in multiple places now, but while it may be clear to you, I have seen no evidence of wrongdoing.

If he signed a letter (as Mr. Hall suggested was his understanding) that attested to the fact that Ms. Jarvis was the state chair, I'm not sure how that is "wrongdoing." There are any number of reasons why they may have needed a letter like that (bank accounts, recognition by the state or other election entity, etc.). This seems like a pretty pro forma action, in and of itself.

Now, if you have any proof that the chair knew that this was going to happen, and that his letter would be used inappropriately, I would suggest you present that evidence. I assume that you have said that it is "clear wrongdoing" that you have evidence to back that up.

It's not at all clear to e that there was anything to bring up to the LNC last week at this time, aside from the assorted grumblings that we were all seeing already online.

Laura

John Phillips

Jun 12, 2021, 8:13:38 PM6/12/21
to Lp
Yay for the crapshow?

John Phillips
Region 6 Representative
217-412-5973
FB_IMG_1623543052410.jpg

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 12, 2021, 8:39:35 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
I’m saving my commentary for a meeting.  It’s shocking to me how casually some are acting.

I know the same thing as you all and this is awful and if we don’t lose a few affiliates we will be lucky.

David Valente

Jun 12, 2021, 9:45:55 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
People have different temperaments, just because I am not climbing to the top of a water tower with a bucket of paint to defend someone's honor currently does not mean I don't care about the current situation, I just would like to get more info on what is going on.

Dave

Susan Hogarth

Jun 12, 2021, 9:58:06 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
In contrast, it’s utterly unsurprising to me how hysterical some are acting.

Susan, Region 5

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 8:39 PM Caryn Ann Harlos <secr...@lp.org> wrote:
I’m saving my commentary for a meeting.  It’s shocking to me how casually some are acting.

I know the same thing as you all and this is awful and if we don’t lose a few affiliates we will be lucky.

--
Susan Hogarth
919-906-2106
Region 5 Representative

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 12, 2021, 10:28:19 PM6/12/21
to lnc-bu...@lp.org
Mr Valente, that’s why I took the initiative to set up these informal meetings.

Tucker Coburn

Jun 13, 2021, 12:14:54 AM6/13/21
to LNC Business
While of course I am aware of much of the disagreement in New Hampshire, I am just now caught up on this "development" - to put it mildly. I am going to reserve public comment until I am able to have a better picture of the evidence of both sides, as well as have time to talk to the relevant contacts in New Hampshire, Region 8, and with Mr. Bowen. Unfortunately, though of course of absolutely no consequence, the timing is quite poor as I work another full day tomorrow and on my day off Monday I was supposed to be apartment hunting. With that, I look forward to having a much clearer picture by the end of Monday to discuss in the Tuesday meeting.

Best,
--Tucker Coburn

Caryn Ann Harlos

Jun 13, 2021, 1:50:59 AM6/13/21
to lnc-business
I am going to bed.  I will upload the recordings tomorrow.  I will not need to say a thing afterwards.  We will either be worthy of the Party of Principle or show that corruption is Libertarian as well.