BYLAWS EMAIL BALLOT 20230206-01 APPROVE 1/12/23 MINUTES V3

Secretary LNC

Feb 6, 2023, 12:37:28 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
Move that the attached minutes from 1/12/23 be approved.   Sponsored by Committee Chair.  Ballot expires midnight Pacific time 2/13/23.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Feb 6, 2023, 12:38:23 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
Might be nice if I attached them.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

1-12 BLMINS.docx

Sylvia Arrowwood

Feb 6, 2023, 1:22:47 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
We meet on 9th.
Would it be better to confirm minutes for 1-12-23 then?

Feb 6, 2023, 1:24:14 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I want to save time.  Once we get in flow all final approvals will be by email.

Sylvia Arrowwood

Feb 6, 2023, 1:28:41 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
As to Proposal Form.  Strike "s" from "thinks".  Typo. No big deal

Though I do not typically vote, I am voting yes on this in case everyone else votes and we can close before the seven days expires.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Mike Seebeck

Feb 6, 2023, 3:40:41 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org

Rob Latham

Feb 6, 2023, 8:42:41 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Point of parliamentary inquiry: May I get a cite for this?

Robert’s requires ability to see and hear all proceedings.

I looked briefly and could not readily find support for this.

Kindly,

Rob Latham

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Secretary LNC

Feb 6, 2023, 8:46:32 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Where did that come from?

Robert's requires in person meetings unless electronic specifically allowed in bylaws (and that could include phone conference).

Do you need a cite for that?

Tom Rowlette

Feb 6, 2023, 9:03:59 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org

Sylvia Arrowwood

Feb 6, 2023, 10:18:02 PM2/6/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
As to ability to see and hear versus minimun standard see 9:33
 on page 89, Types of Electronic Meetings: "Various provisions
for electronic meetings are possible, so that more than the
minimum standard of an audioconference may be required.
Thus, if the bylaws provide for meeting by videoconference
(but not merely by "teleconference" or "audioconference"),
the meeting must be conducted by a technology that allows
all participating members to see each other, as well as to
hear each other, at the same time."

You might check out 9:30 through 9:34 on Page 90 where
it speaks to minimum standards as well as ability to see and
hear.

Feb 7, 2023, 12:50:00 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Thank you, Secretary Arrowwood. That is the information I was seeking.

The quote was from page two of the draft minutes. Here is the full quote: "Requested members do not use the chat as those who review this meeting on Youtube cannot see chat. Robert’s requires ability to see and hear all
proceedings."

All members of the BandRComm can see the chat. The chat facilitates the members of the BandRComm to see and hear the video-conferenced proceedings perhaps better than in an in-person meeting, as the chat feature facilitates side discussions that are much less disruptive to committee members who are speaking.

Public observers on YouTube are not BandRComm members. By my read, these provisions of RONR 12th do not apply to public observers. The BandRComm members are the individuals the rules for electronic meetings are intended to address. I remain open and available to be further educated on this topic.

Kindly,

Rob Latham

Rob Latham

Feb 7, 2023, 12:51:07 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I vote yes.

Rob Latham

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Secretary LNC

Feb 7, 2023, 1:05:08 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Please feel free to raise a point of order on Thursday.

My position is that it is distracting to those wishing to give their full attention to the speaker, it is distracting to the speaker, and is effectively jumping the queue.  The question cannot be called in committees so there is no need to get points in some other way than in a true and orderly deliberative process.

I believe on principle of transparency that these debates (not mere aside or short comments by the committee) should be part of the actual meeting process.  We are not having a chat meeting.  We are having a video meeting.

Secretary LNC

Feb 7, 2023, 1:15:36 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I further note this Bylaw:

The National Committee and all of its committees shall conduct all votes and actions in open session.... (Article 7:15)

The custom of the Party as interpreted by the LNC and a great deal of the Party  membership has been that this means not just while the meeting is happening, but absent a failure of technology, also after the fact.  Further, many members object to zoom - they simply will not use the technology.  Youtube is an alternative means.  Any member that objected to Google, I would send the video file to them.  I can anticipate the objection that the chat log can be downloaded.  Reading a chat that is not happening in real time with the conversation is not the same thing.  Further, if we are going to have "debate" in chat, I would then have to monitor to enforce rules of decorum and ask guests not to interject.  It is entirely outside of what a deliberative assembly is.  We either have chat meetings or we have video meetings.  Our rules allow email deliberations, they do not allow chat deliberations.

Of course, anything I rule is subject to appeal.  That is my position and my interpretation of our rules particularly in light of the question not being able to be called.  I do not believe it is unreasonable, and I believe it furthers the spirit of transparency.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Feb 7, 2023, 1:20:56 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
An additional reference is the Party's Standing Rules 1.02.7 on Electronic Meetings:

Electronic Meetings
The term “electronic meeting” within these electronic meeting rules shall be construed to include teleconferences and videoconferences.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Frank Martin

Feb 7, 2023, 2:50:46 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I've been mostly ignoring the chat during our meetings because it distracts me from the proceedings. I start reading the chats, then realize I haven't been listening to the speaker, and unlike the chat, which I can read whenever, I have missed my chance to know what they said. It usurps the speaker. The only solution, for me, is to ignore them.

If it was up to me, chats to "Everyone" would be banned in our meetings, except for something like a URL being referenced by the current speaker or during a break.

--
Frank Martin

Mike Seebeck

Feb 7, 2023, 7:31:15 AM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Mr. Latham is correct.

Guests and observers are not committee members. According to Robert's own principles of interpretation regarding inclusion and exclusion of words, the citation doesn't apply to non-members, because it doesn't state that it applies to non-members.

It is also incorrect to infer that the privileges of those guests and observers to observe member communications after the fact override the rights of the members to communicate at the time by censoring/limiting of methods of member communication. The Zoom chat (so does Skype) easily allows directed messages and communication outside the app (such as email or SMS) is always an option, so such limiting is an exercise in futility before it starts.

In the real world of meetings by Skype and Zoom, multitasking between the meeting and chat window (and other things simultaneously!) is normal and expected, and the chat is used as a productive tool to assist the meeting. It's not unreasonable to have a similar expectation or utilization here. But a full non-use is not reasonable.

Rob Latham

Feb 7, 2023, 3:12:38 PM2/7/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024
Grateful for the discussion.

I wanted to address the point before there become too large of a separation between stated desires and actual practice, and any resentments that may cause.

I also note that the request not to use the chat during committee meetings is a request.

My sense is that we all have the ability to divide our attention as circumstances warrant, but there may be a learning/adjustment curve with videoconferencing platforms.

I trust that I will not be alone in the next Zoom meeting in exploring each member's ability to close the chat window so that the member may focus on the audio/video portion of the meeting (I am familiar with a WebEx platform that affords user this option).

As one who keeps tabs on the general session of the Utah Legislature, I am mindful of occasional requests by presiding officers to members to take their side conversations outside the chamber so as not to interrupt the business at hand. Many if not all of us have also seen that dynamic play out at Libertarian Party conventions and business meetings.

That said, the chat window seems similar to those kind of side conversations that are part and parcel of deliberative assemblies, whether it is passing a note or discussing pending or future business in a lowered voice.

Kindly,

Rob Latham

Sylvia Arrowwood

Feb 7, 2023, 3:18:13 PM2/7/23
to bylaws-committee-2024

Disable chat feature as have to tend to what is
being said and going on in the actual meeting.  Is it
the members and alternates chatting and/or guests?
Just wondering.

Feb 7, 2023, 3:21:55 PM2/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
If any Committee member wishes to discuss this further (as I said, I will save it for the meeting) can you please start a new thread?  But please suggest any corrections here to the minutes concerning this issue you feel appropriate, but let's please keep this thread on topic.  A new topic can certainly be started in a new thread.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

ken.mo...@lpky.org

Feb 8, 2023, 12:29:22 PM2/8/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Sorry been slammed. Haven't had time to review. Therefore I abstain.

Secretary LNC

Feb 14, 2023, 1:52:06 PM2/14/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Mdm Secretary, the time for this ballot has expired, can you please provide a "roll call"  accounting of the votes in this email chain for the record?

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Sylvia Arrowwood

Feb 14, 2023, 4:13:33 PM2/14/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
Can I put in an email message?

LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Sylvia Arrowwood

Feb 14, 2023, 4:33:19 PM2/14/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
Okay.  On its way.

VOTE AS TO APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF 1-12-23 by EMAIL
Arrowwood       Yes
Bracco              Yes
Ciesielski           NO RESPONSE
Harlos                Abstain