Time for Nomination Tokens

TRowlette

Aug 23, 2023, 6:29:57 PM8/23/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024
Please see attached proposal.

And this, I believe, is the last of my proposals.

-Tom Rowlette
Time for Nomination Tokens.docx

Tom Rowlette

Sep 7, 2023, 12:27:23 PM9/7/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Thinking out loud here.  This means it's probable that a candidate for LNC officer probably wouldn't be able to run for at-large.  I'll find some way to change this up so that that's not the case.

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Secretary LNC

Sep 8, 2023, 9:21:35 AM9/8/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
You can say that any officer candidate's nominating petitions can be substituted for at-large or judicial committee at the request of the officer candidate.  The nominating forms themselves when produced by the secretary can include that language so that anyone signing it knows that.  Perhaps there can be a checkbox for any signer who would nominate for say, Treasurer, but would not nominate for Judicial Committee.  Those are still forms I need to create.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Sep 8, 2023, 10:36:29 AM9/8/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I am going to hold off on this to give you time if you wish to add language such as that.  Let me know please.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

TRowlette

Sep 12, 2023, 1:36:04 PM9/12/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024, secr...@lp.org
OK, this is what I'd like it to be.

"Nomination tokens for at-large candidates must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time scheduled on the agenda for nominating at-large candidates.  Nomination tokens for officer positions may be used as nomination tokens for at-large positions at the request of the candidate."

If it can be worded better, I'm open to suggestions.  I'd like to keep this as being for just at-large and not JC for now, but I'm open to being convinced we should expand it.  Actually, it might be automatically expanded by the language of Rule 9:

"Nominations and elections for members of the Judicial Committee shall be conducted in the same manner as specified for at-large members of the National Committee."

Please, people, let me know what you think before we get to the Zoom debate.

Mike Seebeck

Sep 12, 2023, 1:49:40 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
No tokens. That makes even more work for the tellers.

Tom Rowlette

Sep 12, 2023, 1:52:59 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
The tokens already have to be turned in.  This just says that they have to be in by 24 hours before the scheduled election.

Secretary LNC

Sep 12, 2023, 2:24:13 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
They are often the same day.  This does not solve your identity issue of waterfall elections.

Mike Seebeck

Sep 12, 2023, 2:37:23 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Not at the moment.

Frankly, speaking as the Head Teller for the last several conventions, the token system is bad enough already and it doesn't need to be expanded.

Tom Rowlette

Sep 12, 2023, 3:21:34 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
The convention rules say at Rule 8:3 about at-large candidates "No person shall be nominated unless at least 15 registered delegates join in the nomination submitted to the Secretary, and the nominee has submitted to the Secretary evidence of the required level of membership and a statement of willingness to accept the nomination."

Is that not happening?  Like, at past conventions have at-larges been nominated without 15 supporters?

Secretary LNC

Sep 12, 2023, 3:25:42 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org

Tom Rowlette

Sep 12, 2023, 3:38:36 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
If I change the word token to petition does it solve that issue?  And do at-large candidates turn historically turn them in, or is it something that often gets skipped in the heat of the convention?

Secretary LNC

Sep 12, 2023, 3:39:14 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
This is new provision, it's been followed

Tom Rowlette

Sep 12, 2023, 4:24:22 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
The 2 problems I'm trying to solve are that it seems like there are too many candidates for all of them to make 5 minute nomination speeches, and also it had been my impression that candidates often decide to run on the spur of the moment.

Is there an elegant way to solve those problems?

For reference:

In 2022 16 people were nominated for at-large

In 2020 30 people were nominated for at large

In 2018 33 people were nominated for at large.

During the nominations, some additional people were nominated who declined, which means they weren't asked about it beforehand.  There are other people who were nominated (James Ogle for instance) who I am genuinely surprised had 15 people supporting them.

My thoughts were that if we put a time by which candidates had to have their petitions in (sorry I said tokens, my mistake), we could get things reasonable.  But would it be better to just admit that nomination speeches won't be an adequate way for delegates to judge at-large candidates?

Tom Rowlette

Sep 12, 2023, 4:50:10 PM9/12/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
It was also my intention that nominees for chair, vice-chair, secretary, and treasurer would be able to automatically qualify for an at-large nomination if they wanted it.  Does the current proposal need to be reworded to make it work like that?

Secretary LNC

Sep 29, 2023, 8:25:59 AM9/29/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
This was not assigned a letter yet and it seems there might be some change, Tom please post the final version here so I can get it assigned.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Tom Rowlette

Oct 2, 2023, 6:05:44 PM10/2/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024
I'm on my phone now, but I'll type up the final version later tonight.

Tom Rowlette

Oct 3, 2023, 2:36:13 AM10/3/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024
Attached is my updated proposal.  I've updated it to allow officer candidates to qualify for at-large candidacies, and I've changed the word token to petition.
Time for Nomination Petitions.docx

Secretary LNC

Oct 3, 2023, 6:36:23 AM10/3/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org