Proposal T to clean up Committee Procedures language

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 1:51:27 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
I have a group I am submitting over the next few days.  Mr. Rowlette had some that he sent me personally and I gave feedback and asked him to submit to the list as a whole in Word format.

Please see attached.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250
Proposal T - Clean up Committee Procedures Language.docx

Sylvia Arrowwood

Apr 24, 2023, 3:21:40 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-committee-2024
As to Proposal T 11.6. a. Should "submissions" be singular?  Or does the first
word "Each" only deal with platform plank and bylaw article?

Apr 24, 2023, 3:55:11 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
It should be singular.  I'll correct in master copy.

Paul Bracco

Apr 24, 2023, 4:18:06 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
This might be a question for the parliamentary experts, would the language "Each... ...bylaws article... ...must be considered separately." prevent future B&R committees or members from making a bylaws amendment proposal that touches more than one article? Is that the intention?

Additionally, I assume the language at the end of Article 11.6.b is intended to be added rather than struck as I don't see it in the existing language, but it still is inconsistent with the sentence immediately prior. Do you think that simply striking the existing language in Article 11.6.b which authorizes minority reports from the Credentials Committee would be a better way to accomplish the intended change?

Current Wording

Proposed Amendment

If Adopted, Will Read

ARTICLE 11: OTHER COMMITTEES

[...]

6.  Committee Procedures

a.  A majority vote of those Committee members present is necessary for a "do pass" recommendation, and in the case of the Platform Committee, a majority must approve each specific plank separately.

b.  Four or more members of the Platform Committee may join together to issue a minority report regarding any plank reported to the floor of the convention. Two or more members of the Bylaws and Rules Committee or of the Credentials Committee may join together to issue a minority report regarding their business.

ARTICLE 11: OTHER COMMITTEES

[...]

6.  Committee Procedures

a.  A majority vote of those Committee members present is necessary for a "do pass" recommendation, and in the case of the Platform Committee, a majority must approve each specific plank separately.

a. Each platform plank, bylaws article, and affiliate delegation submissions must be considered separately.

b.  Four or more members of the Platform Committee may join together to issue a minority report regarding any plank reported to the floor of the convention. Two or more members of the Bylaws and Rules Committee or of the Credentials Committee may join together to issue a minority report regarding their business.

ARTICLE 11: OTHER COMMITTEES

[...]

6.  Committee Procedures

a. Each platform plank, bylaws article, and affiliate delegation submissions must be considered separately.

b.  Four or more members of the Platform Committee may join together to issue a minority report regarding any plank reported to the floor of the convention. Two or more members of the Bylaws and Rules Committee may join together to issue a minority report regarding their business.

Paul Bracco

Apr 24, 2023, 4:23:24 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Yes it should be struck from that last part, and I will think about the language of the other.  I actually think I might strike that language - the intent is not have a wholesale revision but that already is not allowed under RONR without direction.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 4:27:11 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Here is an amended version.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Proposal T - Clean up Committee Procedures Language.docx

Mike Seebeck

Apr 24, 2023, 7:42:18 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
It's worded poorly, because the intent is to address each *proposal* one at a time (not each plank or article) and not rubberstamp an entire report at once.

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 7:43:22 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 7:46:03 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
(To clarify the original bylaw was about planks)

And my intent was to stick with that.

It might be a bad idea.  But it's worded how I intended.

Mike Seebeck

Apr 24, 2023, 8:16:57 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I'm referring to the proposed amendment.

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 8:43:28 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I know but I write it so I'm saying it is written as I intended.

Paul Bracco

Apr 24, 2023, 9:21:36 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Even with this back and forth I'm still not clear on what impact the change to 11.6.a would have. Would the language "Each... ...bylaws article... ...must be considered separately." require that future amendment proposals to the bylaws be limited to making changes within a single article only? If so how would this change impact amending the convention rules, if at all?

Paul Bracco

That's why it should be separated by proposal, not article or plank.  A Bylaws proposal may involve more than one article.

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 9:46:33 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I took that part out

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Apr 24, 2023, 10:03:26 PM4/24/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Bumping the amended version that took that part out.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Apr 25, 2023, 9:51:00 AM4/25/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
In case that did not come through, here is the new language:  https://tinyurl.com/2024-BylawsT

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Ken Moellman

Apr 25, 2023, 9:14:20 PM4/25/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org, Secretary LNC

Doesn't RONR, by default, require that amendment proposals are to be one subject, unless there's a general revision being proposed?

---
Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
Executive Director
Libertarian Party of Kentucky

Secretary LNC

Apr 25, 2023, 9:39:35 PM4/25/23
to Ken Moellman, bylaws-com...@lp.org
No, but this isn't for proposing to delegates, but in consideration of committee.  Revisions are only for bylaws as well, not platform or anything else.