Proposal to add to after-action report: Update NOTA

Rob Latham

Feb 7, 2024, 8:02:22 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Colleagues,

May I have a co-sponsor? ;-)

In liberty,

Rob Latham

===

Proposal #____ Update None of the Above

ARTICLE 10. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND NATIONAL COMMITTEE and RULE 7. NOMINATION OF PRESIDENTIAL AND VICE-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

Problem: The option to vote “None of the Above” is a hallowed tradition in our Party. But the presence of NOTA on the ballot can be confusing, especially when appearing alongside candidates on a ballot. If “None of the Above,” above what?

Solution: Replace “None of the Above” with “None of these Candidates.”

Benefits: Replacing “None of the Above” with “None of these Candidates” employs and evokes the term of art that humiliated a mendacious Uniparty warmonger, Nikki Haley, who lost to “None of these Candidates” in a partisan Nevada primary this year. The term “None of these Candidates” is also less confusing than “None of the Above” on a ballot.

If Adopted, Will Read

ARTICLE 10: CONVENTIONS

7. Votes cast for "None of these Candidates" in voting on the Party's nominees for President and Vice-President, the Party officers, and at-large members of the National Committee, shall be considered valid. Should a majority of the votes be cast for "None of these Candidates" in the Presidential or Vice-Presidential balloting, no candidate shall be "None of these Candidates" be selected for any Party office, that position shall be declared vacant and none of the losing candidates for that position may be selected to fill the vacancy for that term of office.

RULE 7. NOMINATION OF PRESIDENTIAL AND VICE-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

5. Nominating and seconding speeches for each candidate shall be limited in duration as follows:

a. President: Total of 16 minutes;
b. Vice-President: Total of 11 minutes.

A delegate who collects the required number of nominating tokens so designated may speak up to 5 minutes in favor of voting for "None of these Candidates," which may still be referred to nostalgically as “NOTA.”

Bylaws Proposal Form - Update NOTA.docx

Chuck Moulton

Feb 7, 2024, 8:55:34 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
In my opinion, this can wait 2 years.

In liberty,
Dr. Chuck Moulton

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 7, 2024, at 7:02 PM, Rob Latham <freeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Secretary LNC

Feb 7, 2024, 8:57:33 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Sigh.  I sacrificed multiple proposals I cared about.  If we are going to do this, I'll might just move to reconsider those.

Can we not?

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Rob Latham

Feb 7, 2024, 9:11:47 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Y'all need to tap into your sense of humor.... (:

Secretary LNC

Feb 7, 2024, 9:12:36 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
No humour for you!

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Paul Bracco

Feb 7, 2024, 9:13:00 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I’m going to be a no.

Non-substantive change to something that many people have strong feelings for sounds like lots of controversy for no benefit.

Paul Bracco

Rob Latham

Feb 7, 2024, 9:15:33 PMFeb 7
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Anticipating at least one more mock proposal before the convention.

You can vote no on that one, too, Mr. Bracco. ☺️

Tom Rowlette

Feb 7, 2024, 10:23:27 PMFeb 7
to Bylaws Committee 2024
I might have one more proposal as well, but I'm going to wait until the committee is better disposed to hear it on April fools day.