Seeking co-sponsors: LNC made up of state affiliate appointees

Ken Moellman

Apr 25, 2023, 9:06:57 PM4/25/23
to bylaws-committee-2024

I am seeking co-sponsors for a proposal to move the LNC to a board made up of one person from each state party, who would in turn hire an Executive Committee to run the day-to-day business of the party (as employees or contractors).

Proposed language here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MXFqfdNoPYrOLoFknm9bA-4W7BMvpZyn4_PL8qww6to/edit?pli=1

--
Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
Executive Director

Ken Moellman

Apr 25, 2023, 9:11:59 PM4/25/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org

With my apologies, here's the Word version of the same, attached.

---

Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
Executive Director
Libertarian Party of Kentucky
--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Secretary LNC

Apr 25, 2023, 9:39:59 PM4/25/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I will add to agenda.
In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Apr 25, 2023, 9:43:11 PM4/25/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
That is my way of saying you don't need co-sponsors.  We have plenty of time not to do email ballots, and I add everything to the agenda.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

May 1, 2023, 5:08:46 PM5/1/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org, Angela McArdle
Mr. Moellman, just a heads up, the changes are so extensive that I am seeking on advice on whether this would be considered a revision.  I think it is coming close.  A revision cannot be done by a committee unless ordered by the appointing body  the delegates. I have copied the Party chair here because this may come up as an objection on the floor if it is proposed by committee and I would like us to know how she *might* rule.   I will let you know what I find out.  It didn't occur to me until I saw how many articles were impacted in preparing the Chair's Master Proposal Chart.  For revisions and the rules thereto see RONR 57:5

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

May 1, 2023, 6:00:24 PM5/1/23
to bylaws-com...@lp.org, Angela McArdle
Okay I spoke with Mr. Brown and Mr. Jacobs, and they had a lot of the same "mmmm that is very close to a revision" as I did.  But I came to a conclusion that no rights would be violated as there are no notice requirements, but it would be appropriate if anyone disagrees to raise a point of order.  I am just stating that I will not rule it out of order.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

TRowlette

Aug 24, 2023, 5:33:07 PM8/24/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024, secr...@lp.org, Angela McArdle
This seems like the most appropriate thread for this, but if it should go somewhere else I'm happy to move it.

I’m not in favor of proposal W, but if it passes out of committee I’d like it to have the following grammar and style changes:

  • Article 6:  Committees section 1 i:  Change “a sustaining member” to “sustaining members”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 2 c:  Change “A standing meetings” to “A meeting”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 2 d:  Change “The National Committee shall select a Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary of the National Committee from among its members, who shall serve in that position, until: the close of the next regular convention, they are no longer eligible to serve on the National Committee, they are removed from such position by majority vote of the National Committee, or their formal resignation.

To-

“The National Committee shall select a Chair, Vice-Chair, and a Secretary of the National Committee from among its members.  They each shall serve in their position until:

  the close of the next regular convention

they are no longer eligible to serve on the National Committee

they are removed from such position by majority vote of the National Committee, or

their formal resignation.”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 2 e:  Remove the last comma

  • Article 6:  Committees section 2 f:  Change “The National Committee shall be permitted to compensate members of the Executive Committee, and have the sole authority to determine compensation and create employment contracts, subject to any limitations outlined in these bylaws, for the Executive Committee.”

To-

“The National Committee shall be permitted to compensate members of the Executive Committee, and has the sole authority to determine compensation and create employment contracts for the Executive Committee, subject to any limitations outlined in these bylaws.”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 2 g:  Change “The National Committee shall have the power to overturn, within 15 days of notification by majority vote, any decision of the Executive Committee.

To-

“The National Committee shall have the power to overturn any decision of the Executive Committee within 15 days of notification by majority vote.”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 3 a Secretary:  Add the word “each” before the words “open session”.

  • Article 6:  Committees section 3 a Treasurer:  Add a comma after the word “conventions”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 4 b:  Change “The” to “Each”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 4 c:  Change the second “the” to “each”

  • Article 6:  Committees section 4 d:  Change “the” to “each”

(for these last changes, instead of “each” we could instead use “both” or “either”, but “the” doesn’t work.  You could also pluralize the word “committee” but that creates a little ambiguity)

  • Article 6:  Committees section 5 d:  Change “amongst” to “among”

TRowlette

Aug 24, 2023, 5:54:48 PM8/24/23
to Bylaws Committee 2024, TRowlette, secr...@lp.org, Angela McArdle
Similarly, I'm not in favor of Proposal X, but if it passes out of committee, the new Article 7 section 3 is redundant.  It says exactly the same thing as the first part of section 1.