[PSGuardian] PCS Weekly Update for 1-6-23

Rick Todd

Jan 6, 2023, 10:01:20 AM1/6/23
to PCS Guardian, PCS Staff, Board of Ed
Hello Pirates and Happy 1st Friday of 2023!!

We are so excited to be back with your amazing children and although they may not be sharing the same joy in having to get up early again for school, the smiles, laughter and excitement they have in being back with their friends and teachers has been so rewarding to experience and it didn't take them long to get back into the routine of learning.

nav1.jpg
nav2.jpg
nav3.jpg

Obviously with a short week, our teachers have been focusing on getting our students back in the swing of things and for our Pathfinder and high school students, we are getting ready to wrap up the 1st semester next week, which will involve some assessments, projects, presentations and for many, the starting of new elective classes. With that being said, I want to make parents aware that next Friday, January 13 will be a half-day of school for all our students as our teachers will be spending the afternoon working on 2nd quarter grades and getting classes ready for the start of 2nd semester on Tuesday, January 17. In addition, students will NOT have school on Monday, January 16 (MLK Day) as our staff will be engaged in district-wide professional development that will conclude our three day series of learning on the impact of neuroscience on teaching, learning, our mental health and the cultures within our schools, which has been facilitated by one of most renowned researchers in this area, Dr. Horacio Sanchez.

Just over a year ago, Pinckney Community Schools launched our effort to begin raising money to support a Therapy Dog program with the hope of providing this tremendous support in every school in the district within a 3-5 year time frame. Although we were hopeful that we could meet our goal of obtaining one dog within the first year, we had no idea that the overwhelming community support for this initiative would not only allow us to purchase both Willow (Navigator) and Roxy (Pathfinder), the generosity of so many within our community has allowed us to obtain Pearl, who was donated by the Merna family breeding farm that will be placed at Country Elementary and just recently, two significant donations of $10,000 (anonymous community member) and $5000 (Jon Imber and Imber Wealth Advisors, Inc.) have allowed us to begin moving forward in purchasing our fourth dog for Farley Hill Elementary (pictured below) and who just by coincidence, happens to be coming from the Merna family farm as well which we are thrilled with!

We are truly humbled by the response we have received as this program has already proven to be so impactful in supporting our students who are struggling with anxiety, stress, grief and general mental health challenges, which we have seen increase significantly since 2020. Our Pirate community is amazing and we appreciate you!!

123_1 (1).jpeg
imber.jpg

Thank you for your continued support and we are excited for what this year will bring to our Pirate community. Have a fantastic weekend and LET'S GO LIONS AND PIRATES!!

lions.jpg