Checkout doesn't work in Android's "Add to homescreen" apps

Xavi Caballé

Apr 7, 2014, 10:02:32 AM4/7/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com

When tapping Checkout's pay button in an Android's "Add to homescreen" app (https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/installtohomescreen), the browser opens and shows...

Sorry, there was a problem loading Checkout. If this persists, please email sup...@stripe.com

Here's a simple page showing the problem...

If you visit this page with Chrome for Android, select Chrome's "Add to homescreen" menu item, then open it from your home screen. Now if you tap on the "Pay with Card" button you'll see the error.

Will Checkout support Android's "Add to homescreen" apps?
When?

Thanks,
Xavi

Lachy Groom

Apr 7, 2014, 6:30:08 PM4/7/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Xavi,

Thanks for this bug report too :-). We should have a fix out on this one too. I'll send another note once it's out.

Lachlan

Xavi Caballé

Aug 18, 2014, 5:01:11 AM8/18/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi,

Any updates on this issue? I see it still doesn't work.
Thanks,

Xavi

Ike Nnah

Feb 17, 2015, 1:56:48 PM2/17/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
Xavi,
Was this ever resolved?

Ike

James Reggio

Feb 24, 2015, 8:43:44 PM2/24/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
Hello Xavi,

Sorry about the massive delay. This should be resolved, but it would help if you could confirm it for us.

Best,
James

Xavi Caballé

Feb 25, 2015, 3:44:47 AM2/25/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com

Hello James,

Last time I checked (a few months ago) it wasn't working, so I ended up implementing a custom form.

Ike Nnah

Feb 26, 2015, 2:11:40 PM2/26/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
This is still not working, the checkout button doesn't work in android.

James Reggio

Feb 26, 2015, 2:15:05 PM2/26/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
Sorry to hear that, Ike.

This thread is very old, so it would help us to know the precise configuration where Checkout isn't working.

Specifically:

1. What version of Android?
2. Does it only fail when you 'Add to Homescreen', or does it fail at all times?
3. Which browser are you using (either to click 'Add to Homescreen' or to load Checkout)?
4. Are you using any app containers, like Cordova or PhoneGap?

Thanks,
James

Ike Nnah

Feb 27, 2015, 2:00:21 PM2/27/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, Lachy Groom
1. What version of Android?
Version 4.4.2 KitKat

2. Does it only fail when you 'Add to Homescreen', or does it fail at all times?
It fails at all times. Checkout works when testing the app on a desktop browser.
3.Which browser are you using (either to click 'Add to Homescreen' or to load Checkout)?
It's native android browser
4.Are you using any app containers, like Cordova or PhoneGap?
Yes. Phonegap. The same application works in iOS

Thanks for your help with this.

James Reggio

Feb 27, 2015, 2:23:20 PM2/27/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
Ah, Phonegap. This is completely different from 'Add to Homescreen'.

Phonegap doesn't identify itself clearly (i.e., through the User Agent) on Android, so Checkout has to use a series of imprecise heuristics to detect that it's in Phonegap and choose an appropriate presentation mode. (Specifically, Checkout cannot use the normal mobile presentation, since that requires creating a new window, which isn't supported by Phonegap.)

If you load Checkout from your Phonegap HTML, it should work. However, if your Phonegap app's HTML just contains an iframe to a live website (and you're trying to load Checkout from within that iframe), it's not going to work because the iframe sandbox prevents Checkout from realizing it's in a Phonegap app. Unfortunately, there's little we can do about this scenario, so it's one of the few that we cannot support.

If you're not using an iframe in your Phonegap app, double-check to make sure that you're loading cordova.js before checkout.js—this will help to make sure that Phonegap is detectable by Checkout.

Regards,
James

Ike Nnah

Mar 2, 2015, 10:07:17 AM3/2/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, Lachy Groom
I am not using iframe, but I am using phonegap build which might be the cause. I will try to build with cordova.js and see if that makes a difference. I will let you know. Thanks for your help so far.

Ike

James Reggio

Mar 2, 2015, 1:50:25 PM3/2/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
Absolutely. Let us know how it goes.

Pablo Carson

Mar 12, 2015, 9:25:48 PM3/12/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, lac...@stripe.com
Hi James,

I'm not the author, but I was having this exact problem in Phonegap Build and your last comment about making sure Cordova was loaded before Checkout fixed it for me. This is my first time incorporating payments in any platform and so far you guys have made it relatively easy. Thanks!

Ike Nnah

Apr 20, 2015, 3:10:18 PM4/20/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, Lachy Groom
Hey Pablo,
What's your application structure, are you using phone gap build?